cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clients Who Change Entire Job Upon Offer to Freelancer

elizabeth_samit
Elizabeth S Member Since: Sep 4, 2015
1 of 3

Although not the first time this happened to me, I just received a job offer yesterday from a client who wanted writing for an educational purpose on a specified certification-based topic. Then, I was offered the job, but for for an entirely different topic. My fear is that this is a new twist on obtaining free work via a fixed price job, as the requirements were written in an extremely vague way (besides not related to the topic required in the client's proposal). Since I began online freelance via the predescessor to UpWork (Elance), my intuition has usually streered me correctly about problem clients. I emailed the client that I was unable to write on the topic, instead of simply declining the job offer. Thus, the client withdrew the offer with the reason as "freelancer not available". Since I am unable to open a ticket for support, I am both writing what happened here to alert UpWork to watch this client in case this was some sort of scam, and also to forewarn other freelancers.The attempts to obtain free work have become more sophisticated over time, and freelancers need to be ever more careful in this regard.

nkocendova
Community Guru
Nina K Member Since: Nov 29, 2017
2 of 3

Hi Elizabeth,

You can report this job posting for us to review by clicking on the "Flag as inappropriate" link located at the upper right of the job posting, which now allows you to enter a detailed reason for why you have flagged the post. You can also send me a PM with the link to the job and I can request that our team review the job and client, and if we find any violations of ToS to be taking place, we will absolutely take action.

~Nina
elizabeth_samit
Elizabeth S Member Since: Sep 4, 2015
3 of 3

Nina, thank you. I have just submitted a private message to you. The job was re-posted by this client earlier today with the exact same wording, so is now "open" for freelancers to again bid on it. This is now quite concerning to me as some type of scam. Thank you again.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS