🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Clients abusing Upwork
Page options
m_skripchuk
Community Member

Clients abusing Upwork

Hi there.

I have been in similar situations for a couple of times, but now I am really pissed of. 

1. So, I am SEO/Linkbuilder and I apply for such kinds of jobs. There were a few situations when during the interview (or in the job description) client asked to show examples of acquired backlinks or asks to show where I would post a link for this platform (like he is checking if I am competent). After that, all of them disappear with gathered info, which actually costs money and time. 

I am not surprised when I see 10+ freelancers invited to such jobs. "Clients" collect info and disappear.

2. Another stuff I want to discuss is when the client doesn't hire someone for the job. There are tons of jobs with 25-60% hire rates. While you need to pay for bids, it is just a waste of time and money again

because lots of jobs remain without hiring.

Thx

3 REPLIES 3
petra_r
Community Member

Myhailo S wrote:

1. So, I am SEO/Linkbuilder and I apply for such kinds of jobs. There were a few situations when during the interview (or in the job description) client asked to show examples of acquired backlinks or asks to show where I would post a link for this platform (like he is checking if I am competent). After that, all of them disappear with gathered info, which actually costs money and time. 

2. Another stuff I want to discuss is when the client doesn't hire someone for the job. There are tons of jobs with 25-60% hire rates. While you need to pay for bids, it is just a waste of time and money again

1. Don't do free work then. = Problem solved

2. If you don't like the client's hiring rate, don't apply. = Problem solved

Yes, lots of jobs go without hiring. That is normal and just "life."

Clients may find their freelancer on a different site, or hire an Upwork freelancer directly rather than from the job post, or their project might fall through, or they'll have to delay, or they find someone internally.

Facts of business life.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Myhallo,

You're going to have to figure out how to answer these questions without giving away free information.

Upwork can't do anything to prevent this sort of thing.

The new no-connects-for-free policy is going to drive a fair few freelancers away from Upwork. You can't expect any help from Upwork on that subject either.

Good luck.

colettelewis
Community Member

Myhailo S wrote:

Hi there.

I have been in similar situations for a couple of times, but now I am really pissed of. 

I am not surprised when I see 10+ freelancers invited to such jobs. "Clients" collect info and disappear.

Thx

The harsh reality: The only safety net you have as a freelancer is you; so muscle up, shape up or ship out and this does not only apply to Upwork. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members