🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Clients adding what's app number to their...
Page options
5aaf6738
Community Member

Clients adding what's app number to their job posting

Is it okay for clients to give their what's app number in upwork job posting. And is it okay for me to connect with him!!
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Is it okay for clients to give their what's app number in Upwork job posting?"

This is a violation of Upwork ToS.

On the job posting page, there is a "Flag as inappropriate" link button. Click on that, and you will see a way to report the job posting for providing contact information.

It is NOT okay for a client to post their Whatsapp number in a job posting and ask freelancers to contact them using that number.

re: "And is it okay for me to connect with him?"

It is a violation of Upwork ToS for a freelancer to contact a prospective client OUTSIDE of the Upwork platform until an official Upwork contract is in place.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Is it okay for clients to give their what's app number in Upwork job posting?"

This is a violation of Upwork ToS.

On the job posting page, there is a "Flag as inappropriate" link button. Click on that, and you will see a way to report the job posting for providing contact information.

It is NOT okay for a client to post their Whatsapp number in a job posting and ask freelancers to contact them using that number.

re: "And is it okay for me to connect with him?"

It is a violation of Upwork ToS for a freelancer to contact a prospective client OUTSIDE of the Upwork platform until an official Upwork contract is in place.

Thanks, looks like i am saved from being scammed.

Preston,

I was contacted via text msg and whats app by a "company" and the whats app info says it's UPWORK HR? Then they sent me a contract and check via email. This seems very odd, but it's also my first I teraction on UPWORK. My gut says scam. Is this normal practice? Shouldn't all communication and contract go through UPWORK? Please help. 

Upwork does not violate Upwork TOS by sending people checks or asking them to contact via WhatsApp. Those were scammers lying about echo they are. Certainly not Upwork's HR.

petra_r
Community Member

Brandy A wrote:

I was contacted via text msg and whats app by a "company"  

How were you contacted via text message and whatsapp? Where did they get your phone number from?

tlbp
Community Member

Akhik D wrote:
Is it okay for clients to give their what's app number in upwork job posting. And is it okay for me to connect with him!!

Only if you want to be scammed and then banned. 

Report the job using the flag feature and don't let desperation cause you to make bad decisions. 

Freelance Jobs - Upwork - Google Chrome 2021-11-18 at 10.40.43 AM.jpeg

5aaf6738
Community Member

Ya, I will remember this solution and flag any suspicious job

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Akhik,

Please note that all conversations before a contract is started must be through Upwork Messages. In a case like this, we encourage you to use the Report Suspicious User Activity feature. You can check this help article for crucial information that will help you have a safe and successful journey on Upwork.

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork
5aaf6738
Community Member

Ya sure

pgiambalvo
Community Member

No, it's not okay. This is most likely one the the many scams here on UW. Read the ToS and follow it. Also, read everything else from UW to be better informed about how to protect yourself and know what is and is not allowed. Make sure to flag suspicious posts and share you experiences here like you did, That helps all of us be more aware and thus avoid getting scammed. Hope this helps.

Thanks

celineyjs
Community Member

Some clients are pretty new or not aware of ToA, I've recently met one who had included their WhatsApp number on their job post and they sent me a job invitation. I replied and told them that all conversations are to be held in Upwork before a contract is offered and they quickly removed their WhatsApp number from their job post. I didn't get the job in the end but their payment was verified and the hired freelancer got the earnings.

I got another new client who asked me if I can have conversations with them through Telegram and I said I don't have Telegram (which is true!) and that I much prefer all conversations stay in Upwork messaging, also explained to them about getting job offer first before doing any work. They're being understanding and followed what I said, I'm still working with them just fine. 😁

So give the clients a benefit of the doubt especially new ones. If they're genuine, they will listen but if they insist on going through their methods after you explain to them nicely, then you can just say goodbye to them and go on your merry way. Stay safe and good luck! 😊

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths