🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Clients asked for refund after deliver th...
Page options
mohammaddosoukey
Community Member

Clients asked for refund after deliver the core of their projects

Hello,
Hope all of you are fine.
I have two complicated situations, I really need help how to deal with. Both of the same attitude, with different approchas.

1) Client asked for script, and after sending to her the inintal idea with asking for meeting to explain it. and if confirmed I will finilize it.
She sent that, she is not stasfied and expected more and canceled contract [all of that in exact 10 mins] with no chance to respond.
And of course, she asked for refund.

The signficat point here, this client consists of two teammates, the other hidden one worked on the same field as me and he was unable to achieve this point, so they asked my service.

2) Another client asked for script also [It seems I wsill stop that kind of jobs] and after sending him the inintial release, there was issue to my script, I edited it in now time and send it again but issue still there, I figured ouy it was for different release of some point, I also edited it and sent to him. He faced error, but not due to script, because of missed configuration.
I am experinced enough to figured out that. What happened? before send any reasons, contract ended (Then) he sent some reasons about time.

The sigignficant point here also, before sending my script I have to highliht configuration point that he may need to edit and check.

That's it. Its not about money any more, as I really have a very bad feel about experince.
I wan to learn, how to handle that and what shal I do with refund requests.

Also, I hope if there is a chance to review two chats bu UW support, that would be great.

Thanks alot for you all.

BR,

2 REPLIES 2
kinector
Community Member

Mohammad, I think I can only offer some general tips that avoids these situations altogether:
- Don't engage in tiny projects. It's basically a numbers game. Doing a hundred $10 jobs means you WILL encounter some clients who appear decent but turn out to be bad. With ten $100 dollar projects, that chance is much lower. Some experienced clients know the small jobs are too small to fight about so they can get away with it.

- Read the reviews of each client. Red flags: tiny average hourly rate paid, poor or missing reviews from freelancers, constantly hiring for little gigs... etc.

- Go through the official guides on how to use Upwork correctly for hourly and fixed-price projects. Will save you a lot of trouble.

- Make sure you don't surprise your client. Perhaps in the latter case, the person was disappointed when running your script. Misunderstandings regarding the deployment platform just don't happen to senior developers. It's OK to double-check and ask about the project's purpose rather than just doing blindly what the client is asking. Technical and non-technical clients need very different approaches in terms of communication.

But don't worry, the above things don't take long to learn. Keep going and look forward. The next gigs will go better. Try to clarify all uncertainties upfront as much as possible.

Hello Mikko,
Thanks alot for your hints, as I just completed my (actual) third week on upwork and it seems I have manythinkgs to consider.

However, I am learning the hard way as itsnot free-of-charge any more. I lost my RT status 🙂

Also, I love to share what I did for now. I refunded the second client with the asked amount as I took your hint in my mind.
The other client, I have dispute against her.
I really don't know if that is the right way to manage my situation, but lets say I am stay growing up with doing my best.

Kind of upset, but I think will be revering soo.

I am so glad for your comment.
Thanks!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members