cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clients don't really have to care much

Han C Member Since: Feb 19, 2015
1 of 19

When Client satisfaction was introduced, everything changed for freelancers - especially for some new freelancers like me. I'd like to take the example of myself: I was emailed that I was one of "Top Rated Freelancers" since my rating was 90%. When the function is up and running my score immediately drops to 84% with no significant fault on my side. Just now I noticed my score is again decreased to 79% probably I didn't reply one of 10 invitations during last 90 days since I had to deal with my loss of relative and was too busy to head back to UpWork. Also I did notify my client of a contract that hasn't assigned a milestone for long - I messaged him that he can hire me again if he would like so and I wanted a feedback so my score would raise. The client, for any reason, didn't leave a feedback, so I had to be punished. I don't understand why this platform has to be this harsh and unreasonable to freelancer.

Meanwhile, I applied multiple jobs with carefully worded cover letters. The clients don't have to worry at all since the platform and clients are dominant - no scores or ratings that are vital. For now I have 6 sent applications, being 3 active candidacies and all of them have remained so about ONE MONTH. I can't comprehend why ONE DAY LATE response of freelancers results directly to dramatic 5% drop in score while ONE MONTH LATE response is totally acceptable to clients. 

Being one of the highest costing commission fee platform, it's shameful that clients are godlike. I am shocked and greatly disappointed at how UpWork discriminiates against freelancers to this extent. The calculation is an utter joke.

I am not sure if my score will be decreased again due to my bellyaches. Heh.

Sage B Member Since: Apr 29, 2015
2 of 19

Hear, hear!

I'm guessing a major part of this is that Upwork's main job should be attracting those clients to us. The last thing my technophobe client wants to do after finally making it through the minefield of the interwebz to post a job is to worry about not replying fast enough while they're busy trying to run their business etc. I'm quite happy for Upwork to make it as easy and to be as graceful as possible for the client.

That being said.

I don't agree with the job success score. What if I make by business out of performing quick tasks for clients who will never need that task done again so all contracts only last a day? My biggest concern is clients hitting somewhere random on the scale they are provided with, not knowing that it would actually really impact my future as that is what the stars appear to be for. What if my client really liked my work but wasn't likely to work with me again due to them getting out of their business etc? There are too many loopholes for it.

I am also not comfortable with the level of control that clients can have over me which is why I do my best to get a proper idea of them before agreeing to any contracts. I've had many contracts where a couple days in I tell my client that I'm not a good fit and it would be much more beneficial for them to use a different type of programmer etc. You think they're happy with that information? All it takes is for a few to leave bad reviews and then my upwork work is done. This should really be taken into consideration as if it weren't for us contractors being able to provide the work, then upwork wouldn't receive any funding either.

Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
3 of 19

Sage B wrote: 

I am also not comfortable with the level of control that clients can have over me which is why I do my best to get a proper idea of them before agreeing to any contracts. I've had many contracts where a couple days in I tell my client that I'm not a good fit and it would be much more beneficial for them to use a different type of programmer etc. You think they're happy with that information? All it takes is for a few to leave bad reviews and then my upwork work is done. This should really be taken into consideration as if it weren't for us contractors being able to provide the work, then upwork wouldn't receive any funding either.

Hi Sage,

I had one client who wasn't happy with that exact kind of development. It just turned out that we were not right for each other. I communicated with them, asked them to be civil about it - they didn't agree. My JS score dropped 11% because of one negative private feedback.

Since I didn't even bill them for time worked they could only give private feedback. But that is all it took.

Yeah, not comfortable with that either.

Ela

Ace Contributor
Anne M Member Since: Jun 25, 2010
4 of 19

I have four active candidacies and nothing, and for weeks, no progress, no wayWoman Frustrated forward.

Community Guru
Iftikhar I Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
5 of 19

Changyu

With the new system on Upwork a freelancer dont have right to get sick,have an accident or visit their relatives.So we should have to set our profile that we are not available,make it private and inform our old clients that we are gonna have an accident and may not response any interview or messages in the mainwhile so we can save our JS scores not to drop.

hope it helps.

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
6 of 19

I would like to now what you would do if you had issues going on and you were working a regular job? Would you not need to notify your work or have someone notify your work you would not be in for whatever reason or risk losing your job?

Is it not common courtesy to let someone know when you can't be there or do something?

I know things happen, but I don't know how hard it is to let your clients now or have someone let your clients know.

Most clients depend on "you" to get a  project done, and whether you have personal issues or your are in the hospital or whatever the reason there should be no reason for not letting someone know within a resonable time thereafter that you will not be available or complete a project and why.

I know there are times when it is impossible. I am just stating that if you turned it around and you were the client and your freelancer disappeared on you without notice how would you feel?

The same way you feel when your clients disappear without paying, Yes?

And I believe clients should be held to the same conditions, so don't jump on me for my opinion.

Community Guru
Iftikhar I Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
7 of 19

Well let say my JS is at 70% and I am trying hard to improve it in this situation i have an accident which no one knows and staying in hostpital for several days so what if i come back and see my acount is suspended because my JS dropped for these reasons.

You are right  about the clients what they will think but the JS should not have to effect like this it may effect little but not a drastic drop.

Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
8 of 19

Well, it all comes down to communicating with each other, doesn't it?

Many things can be explained and reasonable people will listen first and then take action. 

Some people just won't. They will act impulsively and harm other people (long term) with their premature or even unmindfull actions. 

This is when a support team needs to be available and step in. As in listen to both sides and then make an informed decision. It is my impression that this is sth Upwork needs to improve on.

Clients need to be held accountable as well. And somebody needs to educate them on the consequences freelancers face when they give feedback - private or public. Because most of them are not aware of the impact that has on a freelancer's profile.

9 of 19

One thing I can't accept is freelancers must reply the invitations(not employed or even an active candidacy YET) in a day otherwise risk to be degraded even though they are not related to your skills at all.

While freelancers send out applications just to be ignored, for a month or more (I just don't have the patience to test the limit), with clients encounter no score deduction, account holds, nothing; leaving freelancers not knowing if working on other projects will or will not interfere with the so-called "active" candidacy.

Many things can be explained and reasonable people will listen first and then take action. 

I wish the communication would help but you never can wake a person who's pretending to sleep. What if I message a client frequently but he simply doesn't get online? That's exactly how my JS dropped last time.Smiley Frustrated

10 of 19

Is it not common courtesy to let someone know when you can't be there or do something?

I wasn't even hired by that time. I just received an invitation. And your assumption of no notice to clients when N/A is confusing. I read my post again only to find in an existing contract, my client didn't respond me and it led to punishment on meFor clients who have formed a contract with me, I even notice them of any possible trip schedules accurate to exact dates.

And up to now I never failed a single milestone due to my unavailability. 

...for whatever reason or risk losing your job?

...and JS score of course.

The same way you feel when your clients disappear without paying, Yes?

1. When a work is undone or even done, the client can certainly choose not to pay. I get nothing (or maybe a negative review).
  2. When my clients disappear without paying, I've submitted the work. I get nothing either.

This looks weird.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS