cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clients don't really have to care much

Sage B Member Since: Apr 29, 2015
11 of 19

I do agree with that.

While I don't believe it is right for the clients to not answer my emails etc, that doesn't mean I will treat them the same way. I've also been on the PM side of the scale, managing ten freelancers at a time and I tell ya...I think the amount of times I've had freelancers suddenly vanish is about even with the amount of times I've had contractors suddenly vanish.

It is so important to vet clients before you start working with them....it can be rather exciting to get them to hit the hire button as soon as possible but I'm personally finding these days, the more I tell clients honestly if I don't think it will work with them, the more they start bending themselves and make whatever changes they can in order to get me on their team. That puts them in a different state of mind. I'm no longer a tool for them, I'm "gracing" them with my time. If you have clients in that mindset then you are much less likely to end up with bad reviews etc at the end of the day. Of course, playing that game you have to be willing to walk away. If we as contractors don't hold the clients to a certain level of accountability then they aren't going to learn. 

We're freelancers, contractors, our workload is usually going to be feast or famine. If your client doesn't respond, find a new one. If you get too much work, raise your rate. I personally don't care if my clients don't respond to me etc, it doesn't bother me at all because I'm constantly finding new ones. So what if your website is half-baked and you want to stall for three months (a little bit different if I am waiting for payment, however, but hourly is good for that)? I quit the corporate full time job world where I always knew what my work was going to be and didn't have to worry about getting enough hours etc. If I was worried I'd go back to that because freelancing wouldn't be right for me.

I choose to do my work through UW. If I really didn't like their ratings etc then I'd leave, simple as that. My feedback score and job success matters to me immensely because it pays off. Because of that, I do what it says. I respond to every job invite I get, as soon as I get it (and I'm getting ~10 per day). If my clients aren't happy then I give it whatever it takes, bending over backwards sometimes to change that. That doesn't mean I'm not honest, no, the opposite, if I can't do a task or I'm going to be busy etc, I tell my client immediately. Nine times out of ten they solemnly nod their heads and wander off muttering knowing that they can't do anything about it anyway so they accept it whether they like it or not. It's quite late and I'm not even sure the point I'm trying to make here, but I hope some of it comes through my rantings. 

We are not tools and the clients are not ATMs waiting for us to pick them. If you treat yourself as such and see your clients in like, then you'll be forever stuck in the same loop. To break out of that loop all you have to do is see everyone for what they really are -- people who are worried and stressed and want good work to be done and want to be able to do good work.

Hope at least some of that is legible...g'night. 

Han C Member Since: Feb 19, 2015
12 of 19

N/A doesn't prevent invitations from coming in. If you don't reply in a day your JS still drops. Incroyable. Smiley LOL

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
13 of 19

You can set yourself to not available if you are not able to answer invitations. This has already been discussed. I ask and so did a couple other people about, What happens if we aren't able to answer invitations.

We were told as long as we have our status set to not available and a date that we would not have issues.

And my previous post had nothing to do with your post but for comments on common courtesy both ways.

Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
14 of 19

I don't agree that a failure to respond to invites should damage the JS. They should handle it like they do on Elance. If you don't respond to two or so invites, you simply won't get any more invites. Not getting invites does not prohibit one from finding work in the future, a crappy JS does. The argument of setting oneself to N/A is legit, but what happens for those people who left before the availability settings even became available? 

Upwork wants to get rid of the frauds and improve quality, but all this score does is promote mediocrity and weird behaviour, while reported frauds are still running loose on the platform after a week of being identified and reported as frauds. When someone admits everything about the profile is fake, they get a second chance from support and are asked to fix it. When someone fails to get a contract off the ground or wants to a refund because it wasn't a good fit, they'll see their JS drop by 5-10 points. BackWards not Upwork.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
15 of 19

Hi All,

Thank you for your feedback and discussion. I would just like to clarify a couple of things.

- How quickly you respond to invitations will affect your Responsiveness Score which shows on your profile. If you set your profile as unavailable or private, invitations you miss do not count against the Responsiveness Score. Your Responsiveness Score does not affect your Job Success score.

- The timeliness of your communication with the client who has already hired you for the job does matter for your Job Success score. If you disappear and do not reply to client's messages or do not submit the work in time, you will receive low feedback and your Job Success score will go down.

Thank you!

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
16 of 19

- The timeliness of your communication with the client who has already hired you for the job does matter for your Job Success score. If you disappear and do not reply to client's messages or do not submit the work in time, you will receive low feedback and your Job Success score will go down.

Does Upwork take action on this and drop your Job Success score or or does it rely completely on feedback from the client?

For example, if I miss a deadline or don't respond quickly enough but the client still gives me perfect public and private feedback, will Upwork still drop my JS score because the system has recorded that I missed a deadline?

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
17 of 19

Hi David,

It is recorded through the client's private and public feedback.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
18 of 19

@Valeria K wrote:
Snip.....

Thank you!

Valeria, your statement above prompts me to ask for this clarification:

Is the communication you refering to via the Upwork Message Center? After the interview messages and initial "here is my contact info" emails, as well as a "end of contract thank you", I don't use the Upwork Message Center at all. Will this count against me in the long run?

Han C Member Since: Feb 19, 2015
19 of 19

Thanks all for the discussion.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS