🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Clients keep on asking me for free test jobs
Page options
chduts
Community Member

Clients keep on asking me for free test jobs

I know that it is against Upwork's rules, but I don't know if clients are aware of this or if they think it's ok to ask for tests that may take 3 to 4 hours to complete before hiring you. Several clients have asked me for tests already ... That is a lot of time I would work for free. 

I thought I found a great job and now I am also required to do a test. 

The last time I was asked for a test, I responded that it was against the rules on Upwork and that for a small fee I would be happy to do it - or something like that, it's some time ago. 

This client who now asked me for a test used to be a freelancer on Upwork, so in theory they should know that it's against the rules. 

On the one hand, I need to find work, especially now that my online classes are dropping during the summer months, but on the other hand, it is frustrating to spend so much time working for free on free "work samples" to then hear that they've found someone else. Apparently,  I am one of the candidates they're considering, so I wonder if the other candidates are also asked to do a test like that ... That would be a lot of free work for the client ... 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
falguns42
Community Member

Hey you can ask for hourly rate so Upwork can track your work progress and client can also check your work under the Upwork monitoring so no need to worry about your free work & it will be good for client also so he can check your work quality.

Thank you.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
pgiambalvo
Community Member

Never work for free.

falguns42
Community Member

Hey you can ask for hourly rate so Upwork can track your work progress and client can also check your work under the Upwork monitoring so no need to worry about your free work & it will be good for client also so he can check your work quality.

Thank you.

chduts
Community Member

Thank you, I'll contact him.

shahadat0164
Community Member

Work Hourly rate

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members