🐈 Community
» Forums » Freelancers » Clients non serious Attitude
Page options
zohaiib
Community Member

Clients non serious Attitude

Upwork must charge clients too(all those who are posting ads), most of them do not hire freelancers but only waste freelancer's connects. They write best rates to get attention and then do not even bother to see the post again.

 

**Edited for community guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
michael_skaggs
Community Member

If you walk into a shop, should you be charged for simply browsing? Should you be required to purchase something? Should you only be allowed into the shop if you can prove you intend to make a purchase? Should you be prevented from changing your mind if you don't see what you're looking for? After all, it's costing them money to try and earn your business, right?

 

The answer, of course, is no. Just like paying to keep a shop open, using connects and paying for them is a cost of doing business. And like keeping a shop open, you can adjust your rates to compensate for this, and write off the expense at the end of the year.

 

Paying for connects to use on submitting proposals is far from a perfect system, but forcing clients to pay money or to penalize them for not selecting a freelancer will only reduce the number of clients who come here.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
michael_skaggs
Community Member

If you walk into a shop, should you be charged for simply browsing? Should you be required to purchase something? Should you only be allowed into the shop if you can prove you intend to make a purchase? Should you be prevented from changing your mind if you don't see what you're looking for? After all, it's costing them money to try and earn your business, right?

 

The answer, of course, is no. Just like paying to keep a shop open, using connects and paying for them is a cost of doing business. And like keeping a shop open, you can adjust your rates to compensate for this, and write off the expense at the end of the year.

 

Paying for connects to use on submitting proposals is far from a perfect system, but forcing clients to pay money or to penalize them for not selecting a freelancer will only reduce the number of clients who come here.

This Filter of finding Serious Freelancer only related to that job must be same for Clients too, if a Freelancer is going to pay to get some work then Client should also pay as a Client is Richer than Freelancer. There must be a parameter for Clients too. We apply using Paid Connects to get work and Client simply ignores even do not reply, sometimes do not see the post again for hours or just take Estimated Cost idea and move.

How do you know the client is 'richer' than freelancer?? i have posted a job as a client and i can assure you i was not 'richer' than the freelancer.

 

Besides, the wealth of client/freelancer has absolubtly nothing to do with anything.....

 

Yes, you pay to bid on jobs - but its a business expense, not a personal cost to you.

 

Work out roughly how much you spend on connects in a month, work out how many jobs on average you do in a month, divide the 2 and you now have the amount you need to add onto your proposal price. 

 

The client ultimatly is paying for the connects not you.

lysis10
Community Member

The OP's picture shows a client with a 72% hire rate lol idk what he'as talking about.

dsmgdesign
Community Member

If finding only clients who are serious about hiring freelancers is important to you, then only bid on jobs posted by clients with very high hire rates. That's one of the reasons Upwork put's that information there, so that freelancers can make informed decisions. 

 

But I really don't like the example that Michael gave about the shops. Clients should not be posting jobs for the sake of simply browsing. That is a problem that Upwork should address. 


David S M wrote:

 

 

But I really don't like the example that Michael gave about the shops. Clients should not be posting jobs for the sake of simply browsing. That is a problem that Upwork should address. 


Why not? How can a potential client know whether Upwork has freelancers who fit their needs who will be interested in a project and willing to work within the client's budget without posting a job and seeing what type of response it gets? 


Tiffany S wrote:

David S M wrote:

 

 

But I really don't like the example that Michael gave about the shops. Clients should not be posting jobs for the sake of simply browsing. That is a problem that Upwork should address. 


Why not? How can a potential client know whether Upwork has freelancers who fit their needs who will be interested in a project and willing to work within the client's budget without posting a job and seeing what type of response it gets? 


Well I think there is a difference between "just browsing" and "serious about hiring."  I'm only interested in clients who are serious about hiring, and would love it if Upwork figures out a way to weed out the clients who aren't. Maybe charge those clients who posted like 6 or more jobs and have less than a 40% hire rate. That would be a good start. Then, those clients would need to get their hire rate up in order to post for free. And if those clients grumble about it and Upwork loses them, I say good riddance, hasta la vista baby, sayonara, who needs you anyway? I sure don't. It would be less jobs I'd have to sift through when searching for clients who are serious about hiring and are a good fit for me. Or, if the idea of charging any client is absolutely distateful, then at least give freelancers a way to filter out clients based on their hire rate (not just the number of freelancers they have hired..which is useless information IMO... but hire rate). Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!  


David S M wrote:

then at least give freelancers a way to filter out clients based on their hire rate (not just the number of freelancers they have hired..which is useless information IMO... but hire rate). Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!  

I think this is a good idea. It's not something that's a useful data point for me, but it seems to matter to a lot of freelancers, and checking that information job by job is surely cumbersome. 


Tiffany S wrote:

David S M wrote:

then at least give freelancers a way to filter out clients based on their hire rate (not just the number of freelancers they have hired..which is useless information IMO... but hire rate). Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!  

I think this is a good idea. It's not something that's a useful data point for me, but it seems to matter to a lot of freelancers, and checking that information job by job is surely cumbersome. 


I'm curious now as to why a client's hire rate isn't useful information for you? 

Yes you are correct in this.  This is some thing a issue which normally all freelancers are getting these days. 

Latest Articles
Upcoming Events
Feb 13
Feb 28
Upwork Community Virtual Hour
Community Hour English
Mar 28
Upwork Virtual Community Hour
Community Hour English
Learning Paths