Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clients not hiring

mario-chirinos
Community Guru
Mario C Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
1 of 11

I have been applying for jobs since the transition to upwork and I haven't been able to get a contract form a new client and just few interviews. All the jobs I have manage to get is form past clients that look for me.
The odd thing is that looking into the applications its seams that the problem is not related to me because in  most of the applications by far , more than one month after applying the clients haven't hired any one and in some cases they have even interviewed nobody.

Can someone coment on this ?

fergusm1970
Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
2 of 11

Yes. The clients are shopping. Sometimes you walk into a shop and buy a giraffe. Sometimes you walk into a shop, look around then decide you can get a better giraffe in a different shop. Sometimes you just decide you don't really need a new giraffe today and you spend the money in the pub instead.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
3 of 11

I'm banking on more pub revenue for the next few months.

mario-chirinos
Community Guru
4 of 11

@Fergus M,  I am not talking about individual cases, I am talking about statistics form several months of appling and hundreds of applications

fergusm1970
Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
5 of 11

There seems to have been a general decline in work across both platforms since the merge was announced. I wouldn't like to speculate on why that might be.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
mario-chirinos
Community Guru
6 of 11

@André M

julianunes
Julia P Member Since: Jul 15, 2015
7 of 11

Hi there,

I think this page is nothing more than a big scam. I'm only here because one potential client (they called themselves translation agency, but who really knows) asked me to open an Upwork account. As I had no idea what this was, I did it. And I'm so shocked about the rates offered for translation. They are absolutely insulting. No one can work at that rate, and even less being a professional translator. I have not studied and worked many years for working for free now. But what shocked me most, is that there ARE people who do. Of course they are not professional translators. But to refer now to your initial question: Like you, I've never been hired by anyone. I applied for 5 or 6 jobs, and never heard anything. I will leave this strange platform. For people who really want and have to work (for a living), this is not the right place, it seems. Very big deception.

Regards and good luck to all of you,

Julia

mario-chirinos
Community Guru
8 of 11

@Julia P. Is not an scam I have been getting most of my income form oDesk/upWork form the past two years charging about $40/h. But since elance and oDesk/upWork merged, people are very unhappy and reporting many issues with the system, one of them being less work available.  

mario-chirinos
Community Guru
9 of 11

Any one else wants to coment on this subject?

computerhxr
Community Guru
Daniel C Member Since: Nov 21, 2010
10 of 11

The problem is that people are willing to work for those rates.  Everyone needs to stop selling themselves so short, then the prices will come up.  

Personally, I don't bother with the low priced projects because the clients are not only cheap, but they ask for the world, and are super disorganized so you lose over and over again.

When someone is willing to pay fair to excellent prices, they are more serious and respect your time more. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS