cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Clients not paying for work | A different solution.

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
21 of 30

John B wrote:

[Quick note on responses]
I do not set the *get email regarding responses*.  This is done for a reason, and not one of negative nature.  I have time to leave perspectives, but do not have time to participate in the downstream blog.  That particpation is not required though hoped for. Acknowledged.

In other words, you have no intention of using the community discussion forums as community discussion forums, but instead are using them as your personal blog, bestowing wisdom from on high. In most of the forums I participate in, that's known as "spam."

Highlighted
Community Guru
John B Member Since: Aug 20, 2015
22 of 30

I consider it sharing knowledge.

As you know, I participate in this Forum 1x a year, through holidays, which end in 3 hours.

I have to date shared this knowledge:
- Best practices book on Strategic Selling.

- Best practices book on Project Management.

- Pictures of two tools I have used to create success.

- Information on what clients may do in issuing ratings.

Recommendations contractors look inwards when low ratings.  That is unique on this Forum.  Along with adoping two new-commers, with now 10 hours of time invested beyond this blog.

How much I make does not matter, actually.  I can afford to make $20k a year, $30k a $40k a year, and live in middle-class ways.  I do not wish to get personal but you in essence asked.  Were I run my business up to 80% utlization, that would be  80% x 2000 hours =s 1600 hours = that time about call it $50 an hour =s $80k.  I don't want to work that hard.  I like walking my doggie and I have paid that price in the past.

It is unfair in a way, yes, I bring in massive pre-Upwork experience.  One would think with that, folks would 'hang on my every word' during this short sting on the Forum.

Let me address something a bit personal.   I congratulation Mr. Mark F on his contributions but were we counting the metric of personal blog:  1051 (value-add) posts which is a gifting of time.  Most surely counts as a personally-focused blog contribution.  That is approximately 1051 / 30 or 30x my contribution.  I contest using this as my personal blog concept in that metric.  I congratulate Mr. Mark F for his contribution however.  IT sets a standard.

This is information and experience sharing for the last 3 hours I have time to do so this.  Year.  This year.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
23 of 30

John B wrote:

As you know, I participate in this Forum 1x a year, through holidays, which end in 3 hours.

How on earth would anyone know that? Are you thinking that we read every 2,750 word post you make with bated breath and commit it to memory?

Highlighted
Community Guru
John B Member Since: Aug 20, 2015
24 of 30

I also made use of the Forum to locate my two 2020 mentorees and recently observed a post from 2015, including one not particularly nice from one of these forum participants, regarding a strategy problem.  2014, wow, long record of not particularly helpful or nice responses.  That's another form of personal use.

Plus I can type at 120 words a minute, this is all natural knowledge to me, and I can contribute only so much to Forum users.  I will be back end of year.

I think now is a good time to continue my tradition of 1x a year contribution.  Enough perceptions and recommendations have been made.

Strategic Selling
PMBOK

Create adjunct tools to expand on Upwork excellent delivery tracking systems
Consider it first a potential failure personally in no-pay
Adopt a new comer in the ways most meaningful
And have a nice year.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Varun G Member Since: Dec 11, 2019
25 of 30

**edited for Community Guidelines** I think every single bit of anecdotal evidence and claims of accreditation that you have presented in this thread should be taken with several bags of salt.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Varun G Member Since: Dec 11, 2019
26 of 30
**edited for Community Guidelines**

Your profile is actually very impressive. I suspect you haven't had the average freelancer experience in quite a while (dealing with low-paying clients who try to overwork you), since you charge high rates and you're established in your field. 

In fact, your advice may actually be worthwhile for a very small subset of people, including yourself. You have a JSS of 100%, which means your work tends to be excellent and your clients tend to be happy. I can see why you think that a bad client review is always a reflection of your work, because your work is probably usually very good. However, there is a little bit of survivorship bias in this situation. Most of the clients you will encouter have fat enough wallets to pay well for good work, and they don't try to screw you over like a cheapskate client would. Essentially, all of your clients are "good" clients, and aren't of the variety I outlined in a previous reply. For most of us, we come across bad clients on a weekly if not daily basis, and blaming ourselves for such people is a suboptimal solution.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
27 of 30

He only averages $20k/year on the platform. When you make such a low amount on the site, you will run into fewer problems. When you sell a lot of contracts and generate more revenue on the site, you will run across more problems obviously because you have more projects going on and run into brand new clients more often.

The guy doesn't really tell the truth in anything he posts, so engaging is just feeding the fairy tales.

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
28 of 30

Everyone, I have removed some posts on this thread as it violated our Community Guidelines. These guidelines are in place to foster a healthy discussion among community members. We encourage our Community members to be professional and respectful to one another when posting here. Please, be mindful of the Community Guidelines when posting, or replying to a thread. We want to keep these forums a place where mutual respect and constructive conversation is taking place.

John, as per your question about setting your profile's visibility to public, you may follow the steps in this help articleI appreciate that you take the time to share tips on how freelancers can improve their freelancing business. As a gentle reminder, please know that the Community forums are a place where freelancers and clients can ask and answer questions, search topics, learn, socialize and get updates about Upwork. Let me know if you have other questions.

-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
29 of 30

It is unusual to come across a thread that is clearly generating high interest and that nevertheless features one particular poster whose point of view (posts) has (have) attracted a sum total of zero kudos.

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
30 of 30

Janean L wrote:

It is unusual to come across a thread that is clearly generating high interest and that nevertheless features one particular poster whose point of view (posts) has (have) attracted a sum total of zero kudos.

the spurns that patient merit of the unworthy takes?