🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Clients or Predators: New trends due to COVID...
Page options
voxelvr
Community Member

Clients or Predators: New trends due to COVID19

Lately, I have been getting some rediculous offers from clients and they keep asking for more work. We are talking about highly skilled work for a fraction of the minimum wage. I am all for demand and supply but I have been dealing with some shady characters. My partner made himself available and spoke to a client on Zoom twice for a over an hour to go over the project, made some suggestions to that the client found insightful. The client basically asked for work that takes 130 hours to do by architects and 3D designers for $500. We had another client that pulled something similar... This is becoming frustrating and I wonder whether it is worth it to connect to Upwork because this is just bad for moral. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Because I don't want unknown potential clients to be able to give me JSS "feedback" for the short time I spend in initial discussions about their sometimes ill-defined or unreasonable wants and expectations, I prefer to trade off wasting up to an hour or so having preliminary discussions with them rather than setting up a contract and payment for that time.

If I understand correctly, Upwork is now having the JSS calculation weight the impact of each of a freelancer's projects rather than counting every feedback with the same weight, so a negative feedback on a one-hour project should have much less impact on the Job Success Score of a freelancer whose average projects are in the 20- to 40-hour range. So my approach may not be as useful now.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
prestonhunter
Community Member

You are not required to accept any project that does not meet your peferences or standards.

Next time, charge a consultation fee for the Zoom sessions. That you way you will have been paid for your time.

As for this being due to Covid19?

I actually have some knowledge about how this virus works (scientifically speaking). Its symptoms include cough, fever, difficulty breathing, etc. It does not actually cause clients' brains to malfunction such that they ask freelancers to work for ridiculous rates. So the client behavior you are describing must have some underlying cause other than a virus.

Because I don't want unknown potential clients to be able to give me JSS "feedback" for the short time I spend in initial discussions about their sometimes ill-defined or unreasonable wants and expectations, I prefer to trade off wasting up to an hour or so having preliminary discussions with them rather than setting up a contract and payment for that time.

If I understand correctly, Upwork is now having the JSS calculation weight the impact of each of a freelancer's projects rather than counting every feedback with the same weight, so a negative feedback on a one-hour project should have much less impact on the Job Success Score of a freelancer whose average projects are in the 20- to 40-hour range. So my approach may not be as useful now.

Clients asking freelancers to do lots of work for low pay is not a new trend. Clients trying to get free work is not a new trend. Freelancers who have difficulty finding work is not a new trend. Clients who abandon their job posts without hiring anyone is not a new trend. Clients trying to scam freelancers (and vice versa) is not a new trend.

Any other questions?

I am not talking about your average con-man low life. I kind of learned to filter those guys and not overnight. There is a price to pay for that type of education and I have... Now, I will fire you up those question since you seem to know

Perhaps a new virus confining and kiling people is nothing old to you? A global depression, where everthing comes a screeching to a halt? People fighting over toilet paper is nothing new to you? life as  we live it is nothing new to you? I have seen the Pentagon burn on 9/11 with my own eyes...We mourned our people and got back to normal in a few days.

**Edited for Community Guidelines** People's behavior is changing and I am begining to notice this on this platform too. People came to Upwork to get a win-win deal and it worked for a long time...

Also, I did not spend time posting just to post. This is my first time and I would rather look for job for me and my team, instead reading your **Edited for Community Guidelines** post that make seem that I am paranoid or tripping. **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Jay B wrote:

Now, I will fire you up those question since you seem to know

Perhaps a new virus confining and kiling people is nothing old to you? A global depression, where everthing comes a screeching to a halt? People fighting over toilet paper is nothing new to you? life as  we live it is nothing new to you?

Yes, all of these things are new. But the fact that there are some cheapskate clients on Upwork? Not new. 

People losing it in the forum when others disagree with them? Also not new.

Christine! I am not here to pick a fight with you. I came here for advice and to reach to MY community. You did not factor any of the new developments in your answers. I am aware that I went a little hard on you and I do apologize for it. I am not like this. You gave no merit whatsoever to my conderns, absolutely none. 

This is something that is happening to us. These are facts.

Some clients have been going for some extremely low bids. I mean something unseen before.

lysis10
Community Member

Jay B wrote:

Some clients have been going for some extremely low bids. I mean something unseen before.

nah it's same ol' same ol' Upwork. Nothing new.

voxelvr
Community Member

I hope you are right, but things are not the same. 

Jay B wrote:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

So what were your concerns again? 

voxelvr
Community Member

Good Morning Sir! Just answering some **Edited for Community Guidelines**

petra_r
Community Member

Jay, what makes you think the outcome of that contract would have been any different if there were no pandemic going on?

voxelvr
Community Member

Hello Petra,

I try to build relationships with clients because there not sweeter than repeated business. So far, I have had many clients comeback. Also, I feel like no one is paying attention to what is going on? Unemployment just spiked overnight. 

We spoke to a guy who wanted a gig and in all transparency we explained to him what was involved. Basically, we were talking about 130 hours of highly skilled work for $500.

kbadeau
Community Member

Jay B wrote:

Hello Petra,

I try to build relationships with clients because there not sweeter than repeated business. So far, I have had many clients comeback. Also, I feel like no one is paying attention to what is going on? Unemployment just spiked overnight. 

We spoke to a guy who wanted a gig and in all transparency we explained to him what was involved. Basically, we were talking about 130 hours of highly skilled work for $500.

My own theory for your specific question is there are both clients and freelancers coming here who have not used this service or even others like it before. But they've heard of 5 er and maybe have some crazy expectation that we are not professionals here; we are just people looking to scrape a couple of nickels together.

So we either have to politely decline ridiculous invitations, or politely decline work that does not come close to meeting our standards or we can try to explain what certain services cost if we are bored and feeling magnanimous. And just keep on keepin' on with what we've been doing.

VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

I wanted to follow up and confirm we've edited a few posts on this thread. I understand that we're all affected in one way or another by the pandemic and communication regarding concerns shared in the Community today does require more understanding and sensitivity than ever before. I'd like to kindly ask everyone to treat others with respect and to think about how a person is being affected by the current state of affairs before joining the conversation. Thank you.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

I came here looking for some answers and solidarity. I did not come here to be rediculed. Some people felt the need display some kind of intellectual superiority, which to turned to passive agressivess. I am extremely disappointed by the lack of empathy and compassion shown by some people. We are here to work and this is why I sollicited advice. I truly do regret coming on here.

You're not the first, Jay.

And you won't be the last.

Good luck!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members