🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Clients setting hourly range -lowering wa...
Page options
pruettconsulting
Community Member

Clients setting hourly range -lowering wages for freelancers?

I am concerned that the changes to the platform, wherein clients and agencies can advertise/set a desired hourly range on job descriptions, are driving down freelancers' ability to establish fair hourly rates. I understand that clients have budgets but it seems unfair, given that freelancers actively bid against one another, to give clients the power to set the range -rather than the freelancers.

In my field (writing and editing), the clients often do not know the true value of the work or how long a job will take, and it seems only right for freelancers to submit reasonable bids/rates wages and for this process to more organically create a fair range of rates. 

I feel that this change is not respectful to freelancers that it compromises our ability to determine fair hourly rates. 

5 REPLIES 5
lysis10
Community Member

Gretchen P wrote:

I am concerned that the changes to the platform, wherein clients and agencies can advertise/set a desired hourly range on job descriptions, are driving down freelancers' ability to establish fair hourly rates. I understand that clients have budgets but it seems unfair, given that freelancers actively bid against one another, to give clients the power to set the range -rather than the freelancers.

In my field (writing and editing), the clients often do not know the true value of the work or how long a job will take, and it seems only right for freelancers to submit reasonable bids/rates wages and for this process to more organically create a fair range of rates. 

I feel that this change is not respectful to freelancers that it compromises our ability to determine fair hourly rates. 

Every time I see one of these threads, I start singing "tale as old as time" in my head. This is the only stereotypical complaint about Upwork that transcends time. A good contender might be the "omg I have to pay for connects????" if those threads still keep coming around.

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Why would you want to work with a client who doesn't know the value of the work that you do?

I think what she meant is maybe the client doesn't necessarily know the real cost of doing this kind of project, and not necessarily questioning her value.

tlbp
Community Member

Tom Z wrote:

I think what she meant is maybe the client doesn't necessarily know the real cost of doing this kind of project, and not necessarily questioning her value.

Then she has the option to apply for the gig and engage in client education. Freelancing requires the ability to sell your services. Part of selling is communicating the value of your offer. 

I think a lot of skilled service providers overlook the need to embrace a sales mindset when they decide to use a freelance platform to offer those services. Every marketplace is different and you have to be prepared to adjust your strategies. 

tlbp
Community Member

Alternatively, those clients who declare their preferred range are notifying freelancers who don't meet that criteria to save their connects and not apply. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members