cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clients should close the job after hiring

Milos M Member Since: Jun 4, 2015
1 of 26

Hello everyone, 

I'm new to this conversations on upwork so i apologise id this topic is live somewhere else.

The thing is, my interviews and applications are live and active days and weeks after the job was posted and the client already hired someone.

This is very annoying, i don't want the connects back, i just want to know should i or should i not expect someone to contact me for some job.

I think this would be very easy to solve if clients were regularly asked about their job/contract/whatever status.

Regards,

Milos

Ace Contributor
George K Member Since: Mar 7, 2015
2 of 26

Experience has shown me that if I don’t get a response within a day or two, I don’t get the job at all. So, usually after a week max I withdraw my application. Also, most clients never close the job posting after hiring someone else.

Mirzet K Member Since: May 6, 2015
3 of 26

I agree. Some of them don't hire anyone (there is no sign that they hired anyone) and, the job posting stays open and we all lose connects on these job postings. For example, there are job postings with headings like 'Urgent, needed to be done in 4 hours' and then it stays open for the next seven days, and there is no one they hired, they only interview two or three freelancers. 

Community Guru
Aleksandra K Member Since: Mar 31, 2015
4 of 26

George is right, if you don’t get a response within 24 hours from the time you’ve applied don’t get your hopes up. I wouldn’t suggest you withdraw the application just forget you've ever applied Smiley Very Happy

Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
5 of 26

I would wait longer than just a day before withdrawing applications. Clients may have several job postings with some being more urgent than others. And I have seen clients state that they always wait for a couple of days because they think the most qualified freelancers are more selective and don't apply immediately.

I usually do withdraw mine after 4 days - but it also depends on the estimated deadline given in job description. There's one job I applied for 6 days ago but the deadline is June 15. So I may as well wait.

On a different note, I have withdrawn applications and nevertheless got invited to interview much later several times. And re another candidacy: I got interviewed and then nothing happened for days. I emailed twice and (very politely) inquired about the stage of the application process only to learn that the client had been away for a week.

It really depends on the kind of job, job description and client history. If they have a solid hiring history it may well be worth waiting for a few days.

Mubarak J Member Since: Jun 4, 2015
6 of 26

I'm going through a similar experience.

I joined Upwork last month, got hired to write blogs for an event venue site. I volunteered to do a Paid Test job and submitted the article in time. I waited. The client took more than 3 weeks to review one 500 word article and process payment.

The last thing I heard from the client was this: I will set up the next task in Upwork and let you know the topics.

I don't see anything happening in MY JOBS, since then. The client is not responding to my messages. 

This is an hourly job. I'm not sure, whether I'm doing something wrong. Can someone help me? Should I just forget about the job. I don't see anyone else hired, other than me, in the Original Job Posting.

Community Guru
Lyam B Member Since: Nov 3, 2014
7 of 26

Clients have the option to tick a box to decline everyone once they've hired someone. However, clients tend to leave this box because they want to keep their optons open if their hire doesn't work out. Instead of posting a new job listing, they can simply look at other candidates.

Also, I've received replies from clients after weeks and been successful. Some clients are quick to hire and others are slow. There's no point withdrawing applications anymore. 

Ace Contributor
Leora L Member Since: Apr 2, 2016
8 of 26

As a new person to Upwork I was curious about this, and glad to find this thread and hear from others. I decided to selectively withdraw proposals for jobs that in hindisght I don't really want.

I just hope that I don't accidentally apply to them again! Smiley LOL The advantage of leaving the proposal open is that it reminds me that I already applied if the job shows up on a search crawl because the algorithms think it is still open.

But in general it would be great if clients would close the job so we can all move on - them and us. If they keep it open to see if other people would be better, it seems that people should take more time to review people and really look more closely at our experience and even personalities to see if who is a good fit. Besides, if the person they hired doesn't work out, it's even better to rewrite the job description with clearer expectations, and ask us to answer more questions in a new job posting.

Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
9 of 26

No one should bother withdrawing proposals anymore. It does absolutely nothing for you. You won't get those connects back, so it's of no use.

My approach is to apply and then forget about it. If they contact me, then we can discuss scheduling but I'm not going to stop applying or refuse to take a job in the hopes that one specific job will come through.

If I'm too busy, I just tell the client that other jobs have come in and we will need to discuss the schedule. If we can't work it out, I don't take the job. I've had a number of clients who were happy to wait for a week or so before I could get to their work (although one client did mark me down for availability once).

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
10 of 26

In my category it is not unusual to be hired 1-3 weeks after I apply. That's just the way it is with my clients. Often they've hired somewhere else and it didn't work out and come back here to finally get a professional.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS