🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Clients should have to verify identify li...
Page options
christinew1984
Community Member

Clients should have to verify identify like freelancers do to avoid scam postings

I feel that Upwork should require clients to verify their identify just like freelancers do in order to avoid scam postings. I submitted a proposal to a legit-sounding job (will post the job ad text below), but the message I received from the "client" had all the red flags of a scam.

This was the job posting:

We are seeking a motivated and efficient individual to do quality assurance proofreading and transcription..He/she must handle the following tasks daily.
Responsibilities:
    Receives completed reports and reviews for completeness and accuracy, including proper formatting, screening for inconsistencies, etc.
    Verifies all cases contain information needed for the clinical review process.
    Maintains daily contact with the Clinical QA Coordinator regarding workflow and status of pending reports.
    Ensure all medical records/reports are properly documented and saved in the system.
    Ensures all practices are carried out in accordance with HIPPA compliance practices, state and federal safety standards and legal regulations.

Sounds pretty legit. However, the client then requested I contact "HR" on Google Hangouts (red flag #1), and talked about a wage that wasn't even close to what my proposal was (red flag #2). So, I reported the job as a potential scam.

I've been on Upwork for a long time (back when it was oDesk), and I'm usually pretty good at spotting phony jobs, but Upwork needs to do something so that we freelancers aren't wasting our time applying to jobs, losing our connects, and just getting overly frustrated over these scam artists. We have to prove who we are....so should the clients.

2 REPLIES 2
brichristensen
Community Member

I'm relatively new to Upwork, but I agree. I just had the same experience for the same proposal. I had a bad gut feeling when I looked up the company, and it is not related to the job that was requested.

Brianna C wrote:

I'm relatively new to Upwork, but I agree. I just had the same experience for the same proposal. I had a bad gut feeling when I looked up the company, and it is not related to the job that was requested.

The scammers are getting smarter and targeting categories other than data entry. One just has to remain vigilant. If lUpwork zaps these people, your connects will be returned. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members