🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Clients should not be allowed to post Expert ...
Page options
m_slandon
Community Member

Clients should not be allowed to post Expert jobs with derisory prices/other Upwork improvements

Hi guys. As fellow freelancers we need to put pressure on UpWork to improve the platform so that our work is valued. I have some improvements that I think would go a long way to helping achieve that:

1. Something I'd like to see asap is having a minimum price/hourly rate for clients when they select the required skill level as 'Expert'. When filling out their job listing form, clients should not be allowed to submit the form until the minimum figure is entered in the box. There could be a notification 'please select an amount above $--'. Technically, this would be an easy implementation. As a freelancer working expert level jobs I keep seeing listings where the budget is something derisory like $20 and the client has been allowed to post that as 'Expert level'.

This is bad for the platform as it is a race to the bottom in terms of earnings, quality of work and freelancer value on UpWork. If a client only wants to pay $20 then they cannot expect 'expert' level services. This is an 'Entry' level budget. The minimum for Expert level fixed priced jobs should be ~$100~. And the hourly rate should be minimum ~$12~ an hour. If client's want to pay less then they simply have to select entry level or intermediate level in the correct fields. Expert level should be reserved for higher price tiers.

Why does this all matter? Because allowing clients to set any price when asking for expert services gives them the impression that the platform is cheap and that they don't have to pay much to get expert quality work.

2. On a related note, I like the implementation of the Connects system and how they cost. However, it needs to be taken a step further as jobs are still bombarded with too many applications, often by freelancers offering the lowest prices. I would INCREASE the cost of connects further, as $0.15 per connect is not quite enough to dissuade a quantity over quality approach to applications. At least double the cost to $0.30 or even $0.50 per connect.

3. Hourly-priced jobs should have a quicker turnaround from when the weekly timelog is submitted to when the funds are available in your account. For hourly work I complete on a Sunday or that week, currently I do not have funds available until 10 days later. Then, it takes another 4-7 days until the funds appear in my bank account. So minimum is 2 weeks lag from when you finish work to when you receive money for it. This is way too long.

Anyway guys, I would like to hear your thoughts, if you have counter arguments of why not, and I would like to hear from some UpWork customer service guys and ask them to put this to the higher ups at the platform to get these changes implemented.

9 REPLIES 9
petra_r
Community Member

As far as I am concerned, the less Upwork interferes with what happens between clients and freelancers, and the less Upwork irritates clients by restricting them and takes money out of my pocket by stopping clients from creating little jobs that can be done in 5 minutes,just to protect freelancers from applying for jobs they are not interested in, the better.

Michael L wrote:

As a freelancer working expert level jobs I keep seeing listings where the budget is something derisory like $20 and the client has been allowed to post that as 'Expert level'.

So? Don't apply, problem solved. Move on.

Michael L wrote:

. And the hourly rate should be minimum ~$12~ an hour.

Says who? For what job and for freelancers from where?

Why do you want to remove freelancers' ability to decide their own rates? 

Michael L wrote:

Hi guys. As fellow freelancers we need to put pressure on UpWork to improve the platform so that our work is valued.

Who died and decided you are to speak for all freelancers?

I decide how to make sure my work is valued by choosing clients who value my work.
I'd much rather my ability to do so was not curtailed by Upwork interfering with it.

Michael L wrote:

3. Hourly-priced jobs should have a quicker turnaround from when the weekly timelog is submitted to when the funds are available in your account. For hourly work I complete on a Sunday or that week, currently I do not have funds available until 10 days later. Then, it takes another 4-7 days until the funds appear in my bank account. So minimum is 2 weeks lag from when you finish work to when you receive money for it. This is way too long.

How much real life freelancing do you do where it is perfectly normal to have net 30 or net 60 terms?

Michael L wrote:

I would like to hear from some UpWork customer service guys and ask them to put this to the higher ups at the platform to get these changes implemented.

All those things come up periodically all the time. "The higher ups" have been hearing them for years.

Petra, you are missing the point entirely.

I am not saying 'do not allow clients to post $10 jobs', I am saying they should not be allowed to post cheap jobs like this as 'Expert level'. I think that is clear to understand. So if you want to work $5 and $10 jobs UpWork won't be stopping you with these changes. Then, I gave you the reason of why, but it seems you did not bother to read the reasoning.

Your emotion first, think later response is typical of the opposition to improvements like this. So again, I will repeat the reason this change is important: because allowing clients to set any price when asking for expert services gives them the impression that the platform is cheap and that they don't have to pay much to get expert quality work. If expert level is $20, then what about entry level, $1? Following this trend, the $10-20 jobs you deem so important would eventually end up as $5 and less, and no-one would make any money.

And in some case, yes you do need to remove freelancers ability to decide their own rates, because there are always one or two unscrupulous individuals that promise 'expert level' services for cheap prices who can't deliver that quality, or on the other hand; expert quality professionals that are under-selling their services by agreeing to work for $5 an hour.

Michael L wrote:

Your emotion first, think later response is typical of the opposition to improvements like this.

My *what?*

My reaction is that of someone who has successfully used this site for many years and someone who has spent a lot of time "thinking" about it.

I recognize the 4000th regurgitation of poorly thought out demands when I see them for the umpteenth time.

Luckily I don't have to give you the "Thank you for your suggestions, I will be sure to share them with the team!" canned response staff are paid to give you (as they have the other 3999 times)

Also, your statement 'all those things come up periodically all the time. "The higher ups" have been hearing them for years' is not true, as UpWork wants to change from a low-skilled, cheap client platform to attacting more highly-skilled professionals and higher budget clients since entering the stock market last year. It's one of their aims. Adding connects is just one small step along that path.

Michael L wrote:

Also, your statement 'all those things come up periodically all the time. "The higher ups" have been hearing them for years' is not true,

LOL - you really think you are the first to have thought of that stuff?

How cute.

The forum alone is heaving with thread after thread after thread of all of it.

Petra R wrote:

Michael L wrote:

Also, your statement 'all those things come up periodically all the time. "The higher ups" have been hearing them for years' is not true,

LOL - you really think you are the first to have thought of that stuff?

How cute.

The forum alone is heaving with thread after thread after thread of all of it.

Yes, I am well aware you spend all day on the community forums! Maybe you should try earning a bit more money instead of replying to everything on it. I mean $20 per job means you need to get at least another 5 or 6 today... Smiley LOL

ugh, no. Terrible idea. If I decide tomorrow to work for $10/hour, that's my business and nobody else's. 

Hi All,

Thank you all for participating and sharing your feedback on this topic, I will share it with our product managers. Some of the posts will be moved or edited for violations of our Community Guidelines, please be mindful of our Community Guidelines when posting in our Community.

The thread will be also closed for new replies since the conversation has moved from the topic. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Michael, what's wrong with expert level freelancer working for cheap?  Freelancers decide their own rate, it's an international market place so the rates vary a lot.

Why should freelancers not be free to decide the rates they want to charge. And if we do put a minimum, why $12 per hour? In some fields and/or for some countries this is high, in others it's really low.

Clients know that true experts have a high rate. So if they are really looking for an expert and are willing to spend a decent amount of money, they will not even look at $5, $10, $20 per hour freelancer.
The best thing to do is to ignore the people who lowball, stick to your own rate and filter out low paying fixed-price jobs.

I personally don't see the people who make low ball offers on the same jobs as I do as my competition, there is no way they can provide the same value for a significantly lower rate.  

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths