🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Clients undermining talent
Page options
nizarkabbani
Community Member

Clients undermining talent

So I've been using Upwork frequently for 2 weeks everyday for hours. I've noticed that an immense amount of clients are either very cheap or dont know how much they are really asking for. For example at 7am this morning and I came across this post asking that they had 300 photos photoshopped and edited for only $50 before the upwork fee. That's nearly 17 cents a photo!!!!!! I know that no one is obligated to accept these jobs but seriously, I feel Upwork should really review postings and take some sort of action to protect freelancers actual self worth.
6 REPLIES 6
tomzilla1
Community Member

I agree, I've been on Upwork for a few years and feel there was some sort of algorithm change... or they're advertising to low quality clients or both. I think also the "bad" economy perhaps... even the "good" clients are proposing lower pay jobs.

re: "I feel Upwork should really review postings and take some sort of action to protect freelancers actual self worth."

I do not believe that it is part of Upwork's business model to review postings in order to protect freelancers' feelings of self worth.

I don't recall mentioning feelings in my post, however; coming from someone who has made over $200k on this platform I don't think you have to worry about starting off and putting hours and hours into projects for clients to blow you off for a mere $30 and reject you a contract when you've provided adequate work they actually like. But thank you for the input Preston H I do appreciate your timely responses to the community.
tlsanders
Community Member

Nizar K wrote:
 I feel Upwork should really review postings and take some sort of action to protect freelancers actual self worth.

Your self-worth can't be protected by someone else. You have to have the sense of it and assert it. It's right in the name.

re: "I don't recall mentioning feelings in my post"

Self-worth is "the feeling that you have good qualities and have achieved good things."

(Collins English Dictionary)

If you meant something else, then I misinterpreted your statement.

florydev
Community Member

Nizar K wrote:
So I've been using Upwork frequently for 2 weeks everyday for hours. I've noticed that an immense amount of clients are either very cheap or dont know how much they are really asking for. For example at 7am this morning and I came across this post asking that they had 300 photos photoshopped and edited for only $50 before the upwork fee. That's nearly 17 cents a photo!!!!!! I know that no one is obligated to accept these jobs but seriously, I feel Upwork should really review postings and take some sort of action to protect freelancers actual self worth.

What makes you think Upwork is in any way qualified to determine the value of a project?  

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths