🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Clients used to cancel projects
Page options
alejandr_
Community Member

Clients used to cancel projects

Hello community,
I've noticed the cancellation of jobs by clients. I suppose that the worker does part of the activities and for some reason the contract is cancelled. I believe that some clients know how to do this and abuse this possibility since their stars are not affected. But our JSS goes down a lot.
It would be a good idea to add an indicator showing how many times an employer cancels a project. As a free lancer I prefer to be alert and decide whether or not to work for that employer.
What do you think?

4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member

Olga C wrote:

I've noticed the cancellation of jobs by clients. I suppose that the worker does part of the activities and for some reason the contract is cancelled.

If part of the work was done, you negotiate for part of the money.

prestonhunter
Community Member

Olga:

You want to flag clients because jobs are cancelled?

ALL JOBS are SUPPOSED to be "cancelled"... eventually.

Some jobs last a day. Some jobs last a year.

St. Basil's Cathedral took 123 years to build, from the time the project began until it was completed.

But eventually the job was "cancelled," or in other words - the job was "completed" or "closed."

When a client ends a job, this DOES NOT negatively impact a freelancer's Job Success Score. As long as a freelancer has earned at least $1 while working on the job, the job can appear in the freelancer's work history, and the job will NOT count as a "zero-pay contract."

So when you say:

"...the worker does part of the activities and... the contract is cancelled... JSS goes down a lot."

...This simply is not true. Freelancers' JSS are NOT affected in any way if a client closes a job before ALL of original activities she may have planned at one time were completed.

Preston H wrote:

ALL JOBS are SUPPOSED to be "cancelled"... eventually.

On the Upwork interface - "canceled" means just that, "undo, get rid of, without payment"

What you are talking about is ending or closing the contract.

Preston H wrote:

...This simply is not true. Freelancers' JSS are NOT affected in any way if a client closes a job before ALL of original activities she may have planned at one time were completed.

"Cancelled" generally means nothing is paid and the client is asking for their Escrow funds back.

The JSS is affected if there is no money paid & no or poor private feedback.

Here is the interesting part though: If the client cancels the contract prematurely, whether something is paid or not, the client leaves feedback (private if nothing is paid, public and private if something was paid.)

The private feedback is what affects the JSS, for better or for worse. So in cases where the client cancels the contract, it is not the canceling that does the damage, it is the client's feedback.

In cases where the freelancer closes the contract with no payment, it is the private or lack of feedback that does the damage.

Thank you for clarifying the term cancel in Upwork.
It would be fair if the free lancer feedback is reflected in some customer indicator when a project is cancelled.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members