cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Clients who are stealing your copyright rights

robjanis1
Robert J Member Since: Apr 15, 2016
1 of 20

You should be aware that there are clients who intend to steal your copyright rights, publish your work under their name and reap the profits.

Client is **Edited for community guidelines**. I wrote a book for her, but she stripped my name from the work and demanded that I give up my copyright rights.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 20

They strip me of copyrights. I strip their wallets of hundies. I feel like I win.

View solution in original post

jmlaidlaw
Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
3 of 20

See, Jen -- This is why we have missed you!

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 20

@Janean L wrote:

See, Jen -- This is why we have missed you!

I've survived an entire week and no post removals. 

OP, you'll find that most people on Upwork want full copyright of the content. I know you can have other agreements, but assume that's what most people want. 

2591126f
Community Guru
Vivek K Member Since: May 28, 2016
5 of 20

If You did not have any alternative agreement with the client, that is what you agreed to when you worked on upwork. After payments all rights pass to client. She can do whatever she wants to do with it.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 20

@Robert J wrote:

You should be aware that there are clients who intend to steal your copyright rights, publish your work under their name and reap the profits.

Client is xxxxxxx xxxxxxxx. I wrote a book for her, but she stripped my name from the work and demanded that I give up my copyright rights.

The client did not steal it, they bought it.

Unless you agreed something else with the client before the contract started, by Upwork's standard terms of service all rights pass to the client upon payment being received. In other words, in absence of an alternative contract your post here is libel... The client didn't steal a thing.

robjanis1
7 of 20

Clients should not be allowed to post such jobs. NO WRITER SHOULD BE ASKED TO GIVE UP ALL COPYRIGHT RIGHTS. She won't even let me show it in a portfolio for God's sakes!!

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 20

@Robert J wrote:

Clients should not be allowed to post such jobs. NO WRITER SHOULD BE ASKED TO GIVE UP ALL COPYRIGHT RIGHTS. She won't even let me show it in a portfolio for God's sakes!!

That is what the client is entitled to unless they agree to a different arrangement from the start.

Your post accusing a client falsely of theft is libel.

Best hope the client does not ever find it and sue the hell out of you.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
9 of 20

Robert:

Respectfully, most of the writers on Upwork WANT TO GIVE up all their copyright rights.

They're working as freelancer writers on Upwork. They are aware of what the default contract stipulates.

If you didn't read the contract before you agreed to it, that's on you.

This is not a big deal. Every freelancer on Upwork is ALLOWED to create an alternative contract with clients if they want to.

It truly does like you are saying that clients and freelancers should not have the freedom to make arrangements as they see fit or to accept the default intellectual property arrangement, but should only be allowed to do things your way.

robjanis1
10 of 20

So if you spend three months writing a book and then you aren't given credit for writing it, but someone you don't know takes the credit and takes all the money the real writer is due, that's okay??? No wonder writers can't make a living.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS