Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clients who would recommend you

Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
11 of 19

@Martina P wrote:

@Pat M wrote:

Martina, mysterious methods are oftentimes just that---mysteries.

Well, I refuse to believe in mysteries... cold hard facts and math formulas will do it for me....

Martina, I believe in cold hard facts and math formulas we well and am a huge proponent of transparency.  However, unfortunately that doesn't always occur here, there, or everywhere.   

Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
12 of 19

@Martina P wrote:

@Richard W wrote:

@Martina P wrote:

The "clients how would recommend you" is the equivalent of the "would you recommend this client" metric (1 to 10) that you are checking when giving feedback. You can only see it in your profile, but it goes into the JSS calculation. 

Also, we don't know how high the rating needs to be to count as a recommendation. Is 9 out of 10 enough? 8 out of 10? Upwork won't say.

It can be safely assumed that the calculation goes as follows:

Client 1 gives a 3, client 2 gives a 5. That is a total of 8, compared to 20 (100%) resulting in a ratio of 40%.

Martina, I consider it quite unlikely that it works that way. I think it's more likely to be that a certain score (such as 9 or more) counts as a recommendation, and that a lower score doesn't. I could easily be wrong. But I don't think we can safely assume one way or the other (or that it isn't some third alternative).

Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
13 of 19

@Richard W wrote:

@Martina P wrote:

@Richard W wrote:

@Martina P wrote:

The "clients how would recommend you" is the equivalent of the "would you recommend this client" metric (1 to 10) that you are checking when giving feedback. You can only see it in your profile, but it goes into the JSS calculation. 

Also, we don't know how high the rating needs to be to count as a recommendation. Is 9 out of 10 enough? 8 out of 10? Upwork won't say.

It can be safely assumed that the calculation goes as follows:

Client 1 gives a 3, client 2 gives a 5. That is a total of 8, compared to 20 (100%) resulting in a ratio of 40%.

Martina, I consider it quite unlikely that it works that way. I think it's more likely to be that a certain score (such as 9 or more) counts as a recommendation, and that a lower score doesn't. I could easily be wrong. But I don't think we can safely assume one way or the other (or that it isn't some third alternative).

Well, I would argue that a score of 10 is a very high recommendation, and a score of 4 is a relatively low recommendation. I don't see how they would otherwise calculate it, but now, am very curious to know more about it, too. Likely we will never know, though....

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
14 of 19

@Martina P wrote:

@Richard W wrote:

Well, I would argue that a score of 10 is a very high recommendation, and a score of 4 is a relatively low recommendation. I don't see how they would otherwise calculate it, but now, am very curious to know more about it, too. Likely we will never know, though....

The Upwork recommendation system is speculatively believed to be based on the Net Promoter Score, which is indeed not at all based on an arithmetic mean:
https://pinboard.in/u:Michael.Massing/t:NPS

Cara I Member Since: Sep 12, 2018
15 of 19

Thanks so much Martina. Now I'm a little paranoid though haha! 

16 of 19

One additional related question - is it not possible for me to ever have a 100% Job Success Score? 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
17 of 19

re: "One additional related question - is it not possible for me to ever have a 100% Job Success Score? "

Every freelancer can go from where they are at now to achieve a100% JSS.

Your JSS isn't even based on all your history. It is based on optimal sliding time windows.

Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
18 of 19

@Cara I wrote:

Thanks so much Martina. Now I'm a little paranoid though haha! 

yep! We've all (most of us) been there!

19 of 19

That's great news. I've been working really hard to be responsive and provide great service so I can grow my freelance business here on Upwork. I shall continue and wait for the number to go up!!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS