cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clients with poor hiring rate

Community Guru
Md Rahatur R Member Since: Apr 17, 2013
1 of 7

Now a days I see many clients posted 5/6 jobs over last couple of months and hiring rate is way bellow 50% or not hiring at all.

Those jobs do not seem to be advertisements or spams.
I think either those clients are just playing with us or getting an idea how a project my cost and applying that to other portals or worst if they are moving the job off the platform.
oDesk should take steps to control the situation.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 7
Rahatur, fortunately you, as a contractor, have the power to do something about this. ODesk provides you with the information about clients, so you can make an informed decision. You can decide not to apply for jobs with clients with a low hiring rate.

ODesk DOES take action against problem clients eventually. You do not need to wait. YOU can take action immediately. I like it when I have the power like that.
Community Guru
Md Rahatur R Member Since: Apr 17, 2013
3 of 7

Preston, I know I can do that. In fact I have been doing that for a while.

But my suggestion was focusing the increased spamming. Also lets not forget that this type of posts consumes system resources, freelancer time and other resources.

I would not mind anyone having a low rate of hiring. But can you image someone deciding to post a job and then decides he/she is not going forward with it? Ont once not twice but over and over again. I even saw someone posted 10 jobs and not even hire a single person!

Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
4 of 7

I don't know how the hiring rate is calculated, I just know that it's WAY off. I have a hiring rate of ~30% when I filled the bulk of my jobs so I wouldn't pay too much attention to it. When a client posts dozens of jobs, has been on this platform for years. yet never hired anyone, then I would assume they're just taking the work off platform and would not bother to apply.

Community Guru
Darrin O Member Since: Jan 20, 2015
5 of 7

"ODesk provides you with the information about clients"

Where?  90% of the junk I see if from "new" clients who seem to have given absolutely no information.  The biggest complaint I have as a newbie is how asymetrical much of oDesk is in this regard.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 7

re: "biggest complaint I have... is how asymetrical"

I have made a lot of money on oDesk by embracing this asymmetry.

I figure... every client has to start somewhere...

Sending out job applications to "mystery clients" does not cost me anything financially. There is cost in time and doing so uses up slots in my job application quota. But sometimes doing so pays off.

I send job applications to a mix of established, clearly reputable clients as well as newbie clients. Sometimes the newbie clients end up having a lot of money and needing a lot of help.

But perhaps I should only recommend this approach for contractors who are experienced enough to manage clients and quickly identify scammers or time-wasters. But I don't get offers from people like that. I think clients posting jobs of the type I bid on are nearly always serious clients.

Sorry oDesk friends working in other job categories... Sometimes things really are "greener on the other side of the fence." Not having to deal with scammers is one of the perks of working in my very specialized job category.

But everything is not always wonderful. I often deal with clients who are not scammers, but who are very unlearned in the ways of oDesk. And sometimes that means I have send them detailed instructions on how to do things or send them links to oDesk help documents.

So there's a downside or time-consuming aspect to working with newbie clients, even if they are not scammers.

Community Guru
Gyan D Member Since: Sep 4, 2014
7 of 7

Well, there are picky clients and then there are bizarre 'clients'.

There's this poster in the Video Production category who has posted dozens of listings for the same job over the last few months with the first hire only made last month. The job posting itself is a wall of boilerplate text with a vague description of the actual work required. Best of all, there's a typo in the title which still hasn't been corrected in the latest iteration. This poster also has multiple listings for other tasks as well in their list of open jobs - one of them for an oDesk recruiter.

What must be going on there?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS