🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Clint ask he will pay the milestone after...
Page options
bb3d3039
Community Member

Clint ask he will pay the milestone after completing another milestone.

Hello every,

I need some advice from all of you guys.
I am working on a project and completed a milestone (60$) it and send the files in chat but not submitted the work. I ask to client to release my payment and he just ended the contract. When I ask him he says he is new to upwork and not know how it works.
So I say him to msg to upwork support. He does so and show me his post by zoom meeting.
Then this was my mistake I say i will refund your funds and you can start a new job and pay me. He says Ok, I refund him, then he says I have limit on my card i cannot make milestone above 45$ so I have to increase my card limit this will take 2 to 3 days. So I ask him to create a 45$ job so I can submit the file.He do so, now he says he doesnot release payment and give me 120$ at the end of project(which we decide earlier). So what I do now. Please anyone

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Wasif,

Don't start work on any milestone unless a) the client has fully funded that milestone on Upwork's system and b) you have been paid in full for all previous milestones on the same project. Submit work for release of a milestone only through the Upwork project page.

The work does not need to be 100% complete. Just make sure you notify the client what remains to be done before you expect payment. If you submit substantially all of the work on a milestone inside or outside Upwork's messaging system, there is a possibility a dishonest client can take the work and cancel the project, leaving you without getting paid. It is very difficult to prevent such a client from then using your work however they wish.

And don't refund escrowed funds to clients who claim they don't know Upwork's rules and protocols. This is a smokescreen too often used by dishonest clients. (How many projects has the client completed in the past on Upwork?)

In the future, you should think about including this link in your communication with any client to ensure they can't pull the "I don't understand Upwork" excuse for misuing the fixed price project process: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211068218-Milestones-for-Fixed-Price-Jobs.

Good luck!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
prestonhunter
Community Member

Simple:

Do not work for free.

Don't send him files.

Don't do anything.

He needs to properly use Upwork and fully fund escrow payments before you work.

I think it's not that simple, from what I understand there's a finished milestone with the fund refunded.

But it's partially his fault so it's either:

1. Force the client to release that payment, maybe by requesting part of the fund in the new project by clicking the button now.
  2. Complete the second project first to get all the fund.

So what I do now

Edit: If I misunderstood and there's only $45 (not $120) in the second project, I think you should get it first. Just tell the client that freelancer should only work as much as the funded milestone.

bb3d3039
Community Member

1. Complete the second project first to get all the fund.

I am also thinking but the task which was assign to me was a reasearch project and he asked to to join two github repostries and make some changes so results may be accurate or not. In the first milestone, scanerio was the same and he take the responsibility of results(screenshot attacted) but now he ask results will be my(freelancer) responsibility
2.Complete the second project first to get all the fund.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Wasif,

Don't start work on any milestone unless a) the client has fully funded that milestone on Upwork's system and b) you have been paid in full for all previous milestones on the same project. Submit work for release of a milestone only through the Upwork project page.

The work does not need to be 100% complete. Just make sure you notify the client what remains to be done before you expect payment. If you submit substantially all of the work on a milestone inside or outside Upwork's messaging system, there is a possibility a dishonest client can take the work and cancel the project, leaving you without getting paid. It is very difficult to prevent such a client from then using your work however they wish.

And don't refund escrowed funds to clients who claim they don't know Upwork's rules and protocols. This is a smokescreen too often used by dishonest clients. (How many projects has the client completed in the past on Upwork?)

In the future, you should think about including this link in your communication with any client to ensure they can't pull the "I don't understand Upwork" excuse for misuing the fixed price project process: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211068218-Milestones-for-Fixed-Price-Jobs.

Good luck!

Thanks Wil for your advice.
I think it will be best.
The client has completed one project of 60$

34e55403
Community Member

You have to ask him the riser why he decided to end the contract maybe he have what to tell more them make ur feedback 

Tijanibagu
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths