🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Closing Contracts
Page options
tkgnewseed
Community Member

Closing Contracts

I have a contract with a client which has been completed on my end. I won't go into the details but she has not responded since the 23rd even though the due date for the job to completed is the 31st.

I wanted to know if I should submit the bill prior to the 31st or just wait until then?  I am in no rush to collect but I like to stay on top of things.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tlbp
Community Member

If you have a fixed price contract, you need to submit the work using the submit button within the contract structure. Otherwise, you may never get paid. If you close the contract prior to receiving the payment (on a fixed price contract), the funds will be returned to the client. So, formally submit the work for payment and wait until the milestone or payment is approved (which may take up to 14 days), then close the contract. 

If you are working an hourly contract and have properly recorded your hours, you will automatically be paid according to the appropriate payment schedule and can close the contract as soon as you have completed the work. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
tlbp
Community Member

If you have a fixed price contract, you need to submit the work using the submit button within the contract structure. Otherwise, you may never get paid. If you close the contract prior to receiving the payment (on a fixed price contract), the funds will be returned to the client. So, formally submit the work for payment and wait until the milestone or payment is approved (which may take up to 14 days), then close the contract. 

If you are working an hourly contract and have properly recorded your hours, you will automatically be paid according to the appropriate payment schedule and can close the contract as soon as you have completed the work. 

prestonhunter
Community Member

Eddie:
When I finish a fixed-price task, I DO NOT send a message to the client.

I immediately click the "Send Work and Request Payment" button.

That is all. That is how Upwork intends for you to use the system.

tkgnewseed
Community Member

Thank  you all. Very helpful.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths