🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Closing Dormant Contract - No work done - fun...
Page options
allergywriter
Community Member

Closing Dormant Contract - No work done - funds in escrow - JSS impact

I have never had this happen before.

I was hired for a fixed price contract - money put in escrow.

I never made any progress on the project as the client immediately asked me to hold.

I've been holding and holding. He no longer responds through Upwork or LinkedIn.

Upwork says it is going to close the contract automatically.

Should I close it myself with no work submitted? I don't want the money in escrow, I haven't done any work.

I am concerned about my JSS as I am top rated, have never issued a refund or ever had a dispute. I asked chat and it said to close it but that no feedback would have a negative impact on my JSS.

Anyone else ever have this happen?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Cheryl K wrote:

Bojan:

What happens if I let Upwork cancel the contract automatically because it is dormant?

Nothing 🙂

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
petra_r
Community Member

Cheryl K wrote:

I am concerned about my JSS as I am top rated, have never issued a refund or ever had a dispute. I asked chat and it said to close it but that no feedback would have a negative impact on my JSS.

This is interesting because this is the EXACT opposite of what we were assured after the new rules came into force in November. Either the Chat rep was wrong (not up to date because this is certainly what WOULD have happened before the change) or the info we were given here was inaccurate

Apparently, now contracts that close with no feedback and no payment, are excluded from the calculation. Contracts that end with no payment and poor private feedback still have a negative effect.

PS: As Upwork are about to close the dormant contract, it is over 60 days old. If it was going to have ANY effect on your JSS, it would already have done so by now even under the old regime (at the JSS update following the contract becoming 60+ days old)

The fact that your JSS is 100% would indicate that it has no effect and won't have an effect if you close it, either. 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Cheryl,

While the parties won't be able to provide public feedback on a contract that didn't have any payments, they can still provide private feedback (and are notified if the other party closes the contract or it's closed automatically). If the client provides no feedback or provides positive private feedback on a contract with no earnings, that contract will be excluded from JSS. If the client specifies in their feedback that the contract had a negative outcome, that will be counted in the score.

I tried to locate the chat ticket that you're referring to but wasn't able to. Could you please share the request number that would have been emailed to you after the chat?

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Bojan:

What happens if I let Upwork cancel the contract automatically because it is dormant?

There is no transcript or chat number in my in-box. Sure that's working right?

Cheryl K wrote:

Bojan:

Nothing 🙂

Petra:

That sounds like it is the best solution for the situation. I don't know why I have let this bug me so.

It's the first time in all my years of freelancing I've ever had this happen.

Cheryl K wrote:

Petra:

That sounds like it is the best solution for the situation. I don't know why I have let this bug me so.

It's the first time in all my years of freelancing I've ever had this happen.

You'll be just fine ❤️

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths