🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Closing Hourly Contracts - Best Practices
Page options
emdhny
Community Member

Closing Hourly Contracts - Best Practices

Hi Freelancers, 

I'm just curious how you handle hourlies when the work is finished but the client doesn't close the contract. What's been your most effective method to invite cleints to close contracts? Do you feel it's rude to mention feedback?
In the past I've sent messges saying I enyjoyed working with them, and asking if they need anything else from me. And if not, I invite them to close mention that if I dont hear from them I will close in a week or so. Most commonly I hear back a "I'm good thanks!" and end up closing the contract myself. 

Am I waiting too long ask? What timeframe do you like to use?
I'd love to get better at this! I've even had cleints send me glowing feedback but then when I invite them to close the contract I nothing happens. I'm just a little bummed to miss another great review. 
Thanks so much! I'm looking forward to learning from you. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
robin_hyman
Community Member

What's been your most effective method to invite cleints to close contracts?

If the job is completed and the client is satisfied, I ask right away when you still have the client's attention:

"It was great working with you!  As the project is now complete, please end contract and provide positive feedback"

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
robin_hyman
Community Member

What's been your most effective method to invite cleints to close contracts?

If the job is completed and the client is satisfied, I ask right away when you still have the client's attention:

"It was great working with you!  As the project is now complete, please end contract and provide positive feedback"

It is VERY easy to create a new job and invite a former freelancer you have worked with to apply to it, or to hire them directly.

It is FREE.

When there is no work to be done right now, then I let the client know he can go ahead and close the contract.

I always tell clients that I am easy to find here on Upwork and if they want me to work on the project again they can hire me again to do so.

That makes sense, highlighting how easy it is to start a new contract might make them more comfortatble closing the conract themselves.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members