Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Closing a new contract without receiving payment

lukepotgieter
Luke P Member Since: Dec 27, 2016
1 of 2

Hi,

I was wondering if I was in the situation where I have started a new contract with a client but the client was initially unresponsive and deceived me in terms of the amount of work to be done. They also did not send me the correct documents for the work to be done. 

Is there anything that can be done at this point?

m_njari
Community Guru
MERCY N Member Since: May 6, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 2

Luke P:

Unfortunately, there's nothing contractors can do about the private feedback clients give as long as you had an active contract. They'll have room to say their bit whether you end the contract and same thing when they end it. 

If, after all the correspondence, the client hasn't still sent the right documents and fulfilled the other things you had initially anticipated, there's a chance the contract could continue hanging even after the milestone's due date. I mean, the client might just ignore it.

Once I had a client who sent me work entirely different from what she had posted, and when I complained she tried to convince me it was not REALLY different. Mine was a case of anticipating creative work and ending up receiving academic work instead. I told her I couldn't proceed and terminated the contract.

The agony of knowing you have been duped cannot allow you perform well, so you are likely not to achieve the standards you are capable of, if you try to do the work. Not only do you not enjoy your work under such circumstances, you also stand to receive the poor feedback you were concerned about in the first place. Instead of doing the work in foul mood and ending up with poor feedback (or even problems with payment), I'd end the contract myself and state my truth in private feedback. Things have a way of balancing themselves when you are doing the right thing - like protecting yourself. In due course, you'll earn good feedback from other clients that will neutralize the negative feedback (i.e. if this contract gets you negative feedback).  

P/S

Oh - I addressed the bit you had asked about ending the contract yourself... and private feedback. 

View solution in original post

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS