Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing an hourly contract with no activity on it

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Jen S Member Since: Jun 4, 2015
1 of 9

Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone has had this experience and how to deal with it.

I had a client hire me on an hourly contract about a month ago, saying he had a lot of work. I accepted the job offer, but he never contacted me with any projects. I repeatedly was messaging him asking if he still needed help, but he didn't respond. Finally, he responded today saying we should close the contract as he has no work after all. 

I am just wondering what the best way of closing this contract is so it doesn't affect my job success score? I did not complete any work on the contract, so how will it affect my score if it is closed?

Any help would be much appreciatedSmiley Happy

Thanks so much!!

Jen

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 9

He is being a gentleman and a very kind client to ask you at all. He isn't required to consult you about this.

If it was me, personally, I would simply tell him:

"Thank you for sending me a note about this. I agree that if there is nothing to be done at this time, it makes sense to close the contract. I appreciate the fact that you took time to contact me beforehand."

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 9

@Preston H wrote:

He is being a gentleman and a very kind client to ask you at all. He isn't required to consult you about this.

This is just too bizzare for words. What on earth qualifies the client for "a gentleman" or "very kind" and what does it have to do with the OPs question?

Jen, one occasional "no feedback / no payment" contract doesn't negatively affect your JSS, only when such contracts make up a significant percentage of the overall picture.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
4 of 9
Hi Preston,

Thank you for you response, but the client didn't ask me about how to close the contract. He didn't respond to me for over a month and then after I messaged him asking if it would be best to close the contract, he agreed. He hasn't closed it yet. No work was asked for or completed.

I am just wondering in this case, who should close the contract and what reason should be indicated for closing the contract as no work was completed. I don't think you can indicate that the job was cancelled when you close it, can you?

I am just wondering how to do this as I don't want it to affect my score.

Thanks!
Highlighted
Shanée H Member Since: Mar 2, 2019
5 of 9

So I have a question, is there any way to close an hourly contract yourself as the freelancer? I have several hourly contracts open that I have great confidence will not be worked on again, and I'd like to close these. Is it all on the client to close them on their end? Is there no recourse besides asking them and hoping for the best?

Thanks in advance!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
6 of 9

Shanée H wrote:

So I have a question, is there any way to close an hourly contract yourself as the freelancer? I have several hourly contracts open that I have great confidence will not be worked on again, and I'd like to close these. Is it all on the client to close them on their end? Is there no recourse besides asking them and hoping for the best?

Thanks in advance!

Tidying up is commendable, but do it carefully! Either FL or client can close a contract. Whoever closes it is required to leave feedback. The other party is then notified the contract has been closed and invited to leave feedback. (Feedback is double-blind, neither can see what the other wrote until after submitting their own.) There is no guarantee that the one who didn't close the contract will return and leave fb. And you don't want a gaggle of 'no feedback' contracts all of a sudden. As long as money changed hands, they can sit idle indefinitely without doing you any harm (unless they become a large proportion of all your contracts). If you must tidy, then close them one at a time, spaced out among others that close with feedback.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
7 of 9
Thank you Petra!!
Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 9

re: "I am just wondering how to do this as I don't want it to affect my score."

None of the "reasons" in the drop-down menu will affect your Job Success Score.

If you did indeed do everything that the client asked you to do, then go ahead and choose the "Project Completed Sucessfully" option.

(And, yes, I understand that turned out to be nothing. But you DID complete 100% of the tasks the client actually asked you to do.)

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
9 of 9

Hi Jen, 

To add to Petra's response, if no money exchange hands in a contract, both you and your client should still be able to provide private feedback for each other when closing the contract. This will contribute to your Job Success score. If no money has been paid on a contract, no public feedback will show on your Work History. 

-Avery
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS