🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Closing contract of a succesful job as a ...
Page options
cvnpatricia
Community Member

Closing contract of a succesful job as a freelancer

It happened to me at least three times that I have a great experience with clients while working with them. I deliver the work, they release funds in time and are fast to communicate with. However, at the moment when the job is done, they usually "forget" to end contracts and the job would remain open for a few days with no activity on it. In these cases, should I politely ask them to end contracts? I have done this twice and they told me to close it myself. In all honesty I don't know what's the common procedure, so maybe I'm the one failing here and I'm supposed to end contracts myself each time?. 

And one more question regarding this. If I end a contract as a freelancer, will they be prompted to leave feedback or will I end up with an ended contract with one side feedback (mine) only? 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
wescowley
Community Member

It's best for you if the client closes it (assuming you're expecting good ratings) because then they have to leave feedback. But I wouldn't ask more than once or twice. If you close it yourself, they'll be prompted to leave feedback but not required to. If you do close those contracts yourself, I'd suggest doing it one at a time so you don't have several in a row on your profile with no feedback.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
wescowley
Community Member

It's best for you if the client closes it (assuming you're expecting good ratings) because then they have to leave feedback. But I wouldn't ask more than once or twice. If you close it yourself, they'll be prompted to leave feedback but not required to. If you do close those contracts yourself, I'd suggest doing it one at a time so you don't have several in a row on your profile with no feedback.

That's very helpful. Thank you Wes. 

Will it affect my JSS in any way if I keep closing contracts by myself? Is it frowned upon to politely remind or ask a client to leave feedback after I close a contract? 

As long as the number of no-feedback contracts is small relative to the ones with feedback, it shouldn't impact JSS, and there's some evidence that points to it not impacting at all. But, I don't think it looks good to have a bunch of no-feedback contracts on the profile.

I think it's fine to ask clients once, maybe twice to close the contract. More than that and you're risking annoyance. I usually ask them as part of my delivery to close the contract at their convenience, and sometimes I'll follow up a few days later to see if they need anything else. If you close the contract, I believe they will get an automatic note nudging for feedback, similar to what the freelancer gets. I would leave it at that.

Hi there,

I have a similar problem with a job that was sucessfully done 2 months ago and the client is not closing it, nor is she responding to my messages?

Should I close that job and if so, how do I do that as the FL?

Thanks, -Gert

Gert S wrote:

Hi there,

I have a similar problem with a job that was sucessfully done 2 months ago and the client is not closing it, nor is she responding to my messages?

Should I close that job and if so, how do I do that as the FL?

Thanks, -Gert

If you only have a small number of jobs completed and were paid something for this job, I would recommend not closing it yourself. A client that has been unresponsive for two months is unlikely to leave any feedback, and a closed job with no client feedback will hurt your JSS far more than a job that hasn't been closed.

Thanks Adam, 

Cool with me - I just leave it open then.

But just out of curiosity: Where or how would I do the "closing"?

Thanks, -Gert

Gert S wrote:

Thanks Adam, 

Cool with me - I just leave it open then.

But just out of curiosity: Where or how would I do the "closing"?

Thanks, -Gert

The term is ending, so when you go into the open contract in your jobs list, you will find the option "end contract" in one of the folders.

Thanks Martina,

Took me while to find it, but I eventually did 🙂

Thanks again.

Best, -Gert

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members