🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Closing contract, what is better to do?
Page options
g_urgeghe
Community Member

Closing contract, what is better to do?

When you have problems with a customer, a fixed contract that from few changes as agreed becomes days of changes is it better to close the contract and have only private feedback, or to get paid for the first milestone and risk having negative feedback?

3 REPLIES 3
petra_r
Community Member

Giacomo U wrote:

When you have problems with a customer, a fixed contract that from few changes as agreed becomes days of changes is it better to close the contract and have only private feedback, or to get paid for the first milestone and risk having negative feedback?

A far as the JSS impact is concerned, it works out about the same. You are top rated, if needed, use your perk (if you haven't used it in the last 3 months and 10 contracts) to zap the impact and, if needed, the feedback.

If that's a situation you are currently in, you need to start managing your clients better, but you and I have had that conversation more than once before 😉

robin_hyman
Community Member

Giacomo U wrote:

You need to manage client expectations prior to accepting the contract.  If you agree to 2 revisions, do it.  Then for additional revisions, you can respond "I would be happy to make another change.  We agreed to 2 revisions.  For an additional revision, it will be $x".  Otherwise, there is no stopping the client asking for unlimited revisions.  This is a lesson for those new freelancers offering "revisions until the client is satisfied".

That said, I would play nice with the client, do the revisions and get paid for your service.  You can say no, get the bad feedback and use your Top Rated perk to remove it.  It really depends on how bad the client is and how much you want out. 

You are right, the fault is also mine, but understanding who you are dealing with is very difficult. In real life I have no problem managing a difficult client after many years of work, even if they rarely happen. the problem is the feedback can be very harmful to the freelancer and the whole system tends to protect customers rather than the freelancer. Customers know this and take advantage of it ... I will choose the next customers very carefully

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths