cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing dormant (but paid) contracts in regard to Job Success

Community Guru
Gabor K Member Since: Apr 1, 2015
1 of 5

Does manually closing  dormant, but already paid/completed/escrowed contracts effect the JS score in a positive way? I am just wondering heavily about this, because once upon a time, I closed some of such contracts and my JS score immediately went up, leaving me very surprised.

I have about 4-5 dormant + paid ones, so this would be very important, as I have just lost 5% from my Top Rated-worthy 91%. Thanks!

Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
2 of 5

It seems having many dormant contracts finished or unfinished affects the JS score negatively over time. Closing / ending those contracts prevents that. However if the client is unresponsive and you end up with many "no feedback" jobs, that will negatively affect your JS score. If the client was unresponsive, but then chooses to leave a feedback when you close the contract then the regular system will apply. Good feedback = + JS score; bad feedback = - JS score.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Community Leader
Cristian F Member Since: Jun 21, 2015
3 of 5

Hi Setu,

You said: "It seems having many dormant contracts finished or unfinished affects the JS score negatively over time."

That's interesting... 

Is it mentioned somewhere by Upwork or it's something you assume based on your observations?

Thanks

Community Leader
Cristian F Member Since: Jun 21, 2015
4 of 5

Hello Gabor,

Here are the steps I suggest you to follow when deciding to close a contract by yourself:

1. Contact the client and ask him/her to close it. - Upwork recommends this action.

2. If the client is unresponsive, you can close the contract since this action is not forbidden.

After you close the contract there are 2 possibilities: (Note that after you close it, the client still has 2 weeks to give private and public feedback)

2a. The client does not provide any feedback. In this case, your private and public feedback is null. This means that the closed contract will not count for your JS score.

2b. The client provides feedback. Chances are small if they didn't reply to your request from step 1, but it's still a chance. In this case, the closed contract will count on your JS score because feedback was provided.

Tip: Don't close too many contract by yourself. Supposing your clients are unresponsive, you will end up having closed contracts with no feedback. This can result into a pattern which is penalized by the algorithm responsible for JS calculation.

I can't say how many contracts trigger this pattern because Upwork hasn't made this information public.

On my profile, during the last 24 months (the maximum time on which JS is calculated) I have 3 contracts with no feedback. They don't affect my JS, as far as I can see.

Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
5 of 5

@Cristian F wrote:

Hi Setu,

You said: "It seems having many dormant contracts finished or unfinished affects the JS score negatively over time."

That's interesting... 

Is it mentioned somewhere by Upwork or it's something you assume based on your observations?

Thanks

Contracts without activity can lower your score

Sometimes contracts start, but due to the client or freelancer, no activity takes place. After a reasonable period of time, these contracts impact your score. Ending these contracts quickly or requesting the client close the contract as soon as possible can prevent this situation.

This is not only referring to no activity jobs, but also dormant jobs. This has been discussed many times on the forum. Also it has been confirmed from observation of a few profiles.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS