🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Closing the contract with the client who does...
Page options
ljiljangel
Community Member

Closing the contract with the client who doesn't have access to Upwork anymore

I worked with a client for a while and for a couple of weeks I get this message when I try to text the client: 

"XXX does not currently have access to Upwork and will not receive messages until access is restored."

I wasn't assigned any new milestones since July 2019 and I would like to close the contract. But I am worried about my JSS. If I close a contract with a client who does not currently have access to Upwork will it negatively affect my Job Success Score?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jamie F wrote:

One potential drawback is that they won't be able to leave feedback for you. This might negatively affect your JSS, but only if you have had too many other accounts closed without feedback recently. Otherwise, it will make no difference. 

No, it will not. Contracts with clients who were naughty and were suspended for it are excluded from the JSS calculation, and I can show you a profile with 85% "No feedback" contracts in all 3 calculation windows and a 100% JSS.

Ljiljana, do make sure you wait until you have been paid before closing the contract.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
moonraker
Community Member

Ljiljana G wrote:

iIf I close a contract with a client who does not currently have access to Upwork will it negatively?

Not necessarily, no. 

One potential drawback is that they won't be able to leave feedback for you. This might negatively affect your JSS, but only if you have had too many other accounts closed without feedback recently. Otherwise, it will make no difference. 

Jamie F wrote:

No, it will not. Contracts with clients who were naughty and were suspended for it are excluded from the JSS calculation, and I can show you a profile with 85% "No feedback" contracts in all 3 calculation windows and a 100% JSS.

Ljiljana, do make sure you wait until you have been paid before closing the contract.

I haven't had any new milestones with this client since July. I wanted to propose to close the contract anyway but the client has been suspended. I am not expecting any new payments.

So since the client is suspended, I have been thinking to end that contract but I've been worried it might affect my JSS. 

Ljiljana G wrote:

I haven't had any new milestones with this client since July. I wanted to propose to close the contract anyway but the client has been suspended. I am not expecting any new payments.

So since the client is suspended, I have been thinking to end that contract but I've been worried it might affect my JSS. 

Just close it.

Closing a contract does not affect your JSS anyway (alledgedly it does if you have huge numbers of "no feedback" contracts or a bunch all together but I am unconvinced)

An occasional one certainly does not hurt, and suspended contracts are excluded anyway.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths