Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing the job with not responsive client

Highlighted
Marko M Member Since: Sep 4, 2017
1 of 13

Hi, so this is my question:
I have finished some work for client but now he is not responding. If i close the contract, is it going to be successful on my profile history ? I dont want to get bad reputation just because client got what he wanted and never get on UpWork again.

Thank you.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 13

Sometimes this happens.

Don't worry so much about it.

A few of these will NOT lower your Job Success Score.

A pattern of these... if they are a significant proportion of your work history... WILL lower JSS.

3 of 13

Yes, but im new on UpWork, and im aimimg for 90% success + ... 
I finished 4 or 5 jobs, and still working on 2.
But 2 of those that i finished are not answering, are they going to be unsuccessful ?

4 of 13

Yes, but im new on UpWork, and im aimimg for 90% success + ... 
I finished 4 or 5 jobs, and still working on 2.
But 2 of those that i finished are not answering, are they going to be unsuccessful ?

Jovana M Member Since: Aug 22, 2017
5 of 13

It depends on the client - I advise to be very careful. I just had a problem with closing contract with unresponsive client who provided me a terrible review, describing me as a "nightmare freelancer" and gave me minimum points. I wrote today to the community and Help Desk to help me remove this bad review because it is unjustified. I provided him content that he published on his website, which confirmed the content value.

Nevertheless, I suggest you to speak to the client before closing and try to ensure to keep good relationship with him. If you have only couple of jobs, I believe scenario similar to mine could lower your JSS significantly. 

Good luck! Smiley Happy

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
6 of 13

Hi Marko, 

If your client is unresponsive, go ahead and close your contract. The initial contract you closed won't affect your Job Success Score, unless you have a pattern of contracts with the same outcome or your client leaves private feedback on it, which would be included in your score's calculation.

-Avery
Untitled
Ace Contributor
Mary-Helen R Member Since: Oct 9, 2018
7 of 13

Avery, I have a completed and paid contract that is also not closed or reviewed. Could you please tell me how to close it myself, as the client is unresponsive? Thank you.

Ace Contributor
8 of 13

Avery! There's nothing like asking the question to finally find the resolution - I did finally see where to close it. Thank you!

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
9 of 13

@Preston H wrote:

A few of these will NOT lower your Job Success Score.

That is misleading.

Look at Marko's profile. He has 6 jobs under his belt, and only one feedback and 2 without feedback already.

That is a "significant proportion" already. A very significant proportion. At this point a whopping 66% of his ended contracts were without feedback.

Add the two unresponsive ones and it would be 80% "No feedback!"

Ace Contributor
10 of 13

Petra, I hope you don't mind my asking this directly - your responses are so thoughtful, I'd appreciate your help.

I've been on Upwork for 6 months. I have 2 jobs from a few months ago still showing open. These were serious learning experiences for me -- one ended in arbitration and the other was an agreement to "just end this now." All of my other clients have given me 5 stars and I'm now up to 98%.

Am I right that prospective clients will see these 2 'still open'and wonder about them or should I just leave them alone, sitting there on top of some great reviews, as they are now?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS