Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CloudFlare

Highlighted
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
1 of 25

Is anyone else having to pass a security check by entering a CAPTCHA each time they try to access oDesk or is it just me?

upwork_captcha.jpg

Highlighted
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
2 of 25

I am not having an issues.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
3 of 25

No, fine here also.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Sadan M Member Since: Sep 3, 2010
4 of 25

This usually happens when you try to access a website using a proxy or any proxy is using the same IP pool alloted to you by your ISP.  

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
5 of 25

I have no idea what Cloudflare is, but it's exciting to see William Gibson's then hypothetical constuct of cyberspace becoming a reality. It's a brave new world out there and no mistake!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
6 of 25

I've signed into Upwork twice so far today, and haven't seen that message or had any issues connecting.

When Upwork goes down, I have seen Cloudflare "stuff" on the homepage, but that's just related to the site being off-line.

Like someone else said, I'd bet Upwork wonders who you are if your trying to connect from an IP you don't normally use with your login credentials.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Francine R Member Since: Jun 26, 2011
7 of 25

I've not seen anything like it.

Diligence is the mother of good luck...Benj. Franklin
Highlighted
Community Guru
Cristian-Adrian F Member Since: May 6, 2015
8 of 25

Please post a higher resolution screenshot. This might be the case if you're using a proxy or any authentication to bypass the regular access, as it's possible to receive it from a third-party. Also, I can't see the link with CloudFlare. It's just a CDN (content delivery network) that helps a leverage the cache for a certain website and to speed up pages doing so, and doesn't have any relevance for your issue. Although the nameserver has to point firstly to CloudFlare and then back to Upwork host, they won't interfere with your files throughout the process.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
9 of 25

Thanks to all that replied.

@Cristian - if you right click the image and select "open image in new tab" you can see a higher resolution version.

@Sadan - you wrote "This usually happens when you try to access a website using a proxy or any proxy is using the same IP pool alloted to you by your ISP. "

I am not using a proxy. I am on a static IP so if a proxy is using the same IP pool, I assume I'll just have to deal with this, or ask my ISP to assign a different IP to me? It's the first time in 6 years that I am running into this issue. Support said it's normal behaviour as it's just an additional layer of security but I don't find it normal having to enter a CAPTCHA every single time I want to use the forum or main site. I have a similar issue where I am blocked from leaving feedback because my leaving of feedback is triggering a "security event" - I wonder if these two things are related, although the feedback issue has been going on for 12 days while this one is new.

@Pandora - my IP and even laptop I am accessing oDesk from is the same, so no idea what triggered this.

@Ramon - please tell us more.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to make this stop, please share! Thanks

Highlighted
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
10 of 25

@Krisztina U wrote:
<snip>...

I am not using a proxy. I am on a static IP so if a proxy is using the same IP pool, I assume I'll just have to deal with this, or ask my ISP to assign a different IP to me? It's the first time in 6 years that I am running into this issue. Support said it's normal behaviour as it's just an additional layer of security but I don't find it normal having to enter a CAPTCHA every single time I want to use the forum or main site. I have a similar issue where I am blocked from leaving feedback because my leaving of feedback is triggering a "security event" - I wonder if these two things are related, although the feedback issue has been going on for 12 days while this one is new.

@Pandora - my IP and even laptop I am accessing oDesk from is the same, so no idea what triggered this.

<snip>

If anyone has any suggestions on how to make this stop, please share! Thanks

Krisztina,

In that event, I would run (not walk) to the Support area and:

1) try to get someone who pays attention in live chat (I know that's hard)

2) send in a support ticket (don't hold your breath for a fast resolution)

I could be way off base here, but if I was in your shoes, my paranoia would kick and I would be concerned that perhaps Upwork thought my account had been hackedNot saying that has happend to you, and not trying to alarm you...but...At least you have made the effort, and now it's documented with them.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS