Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CloudFlare

Highlighted
Community Leader
Sadan M Member Since: Sep 3, 2010
11 of 25

Kristina you need to run the trace route. I am assuming you are on Windows based PC so this link will help. If you are on Mac this link would do. If some where during the process you see stars or dots ( ..... ) than that means an issue with the network. If there is an issue get in touch with your ISP to get it resolved. Also create a support ticket because couple of days ago some one  in the forum had his account suspended when he logged in to Upwork from his office IP as Upwork I think considers it an "irregularity". In case something happens you can use that support ticket as proof of this issue with your internet connection.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Cristian-Adrian F Member Since: May 6, 2015
12 of 25
'ask my IP to assign a different IP' - maybe ISP? If you are sure that's a static, and you don't have the DHCP enabled, yes that worths a try. However, I don't any possible reason for captcha on entry. Very strange
Highlighted
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
13 of 25

@Cristian-Adrian F wrote:
'ask my IP to assign a different IP' - maybe ISP? If you are sure that's a static, and you don't have the DHCP enabled, yes that worths a try. However, I don't any possible reason for captcha on entry. Very strange

Yeah, I meant to type ISP. I corrected it.

I don't know what DHCP means other than for the cryptic explanation Google just came up with, but I have not made any changes to my settings, nor did I install new software or made any software updates over the past couple of weeks so that can't be it either. It is strange! Which just reminded me of The Doors.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Cristian-Adrian F Member Since: May 6, 2015
14 of 25

ISP should provide you straight forward guidance, hope it gets solved.

Highlighted
Community Guru
15 of 25

I filed a support ticket for my feedback issue 12 days ago and complained about it on the forum so there's a trail for that, and I logged a ticket a couple of hours ago for this weird CAPTCHA issue but was told it's normal, but there should be a trail for that too. Now if support is able to put 1+1 together, is a different question.

@Sadan -- thanks! I am on Windows 8.1 and was able to load up my command prompt after watching a Youtube video, but I don't know what I am running a tracert for. Since I didn't know what to run it for I just typed www.upwork.com, and 3 out of 11 lines returned stars. Does this mean the issue is on my end? I attached a screenshot, but my computer speaks German, so I don't know how helpful this is. Should I be running a tracert for something else? And should I even be posting a screenshot of this? Thanks for your continued help!

tracert.JPG

Highlighted
Community Leader
16 of 25

Kristina I am attaching a trace route from my Mac of the same IP where you ran the trace route for your reference. If you look at the image you will see that it completes 13 steps. Your trace route dies at 9th step which indicates possible network issue. 

Screen Shot 2015-05-18 at 23.44.53.png

Also one more thing. There is a possibility that your ISP might have blocked access to couple of ports causing this because of a possible DDoS attack. This happened with me 2 months ago as my tracker was working in offline mode and on contacting my ISP I came to know that because of a possible DDoS attack they blocked the port on which oDesk was operating causing the team room app to work in offline mode. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
17 of 25

Sadan, spot-on! (that's a good thing). Also, it looks like Cristian has the best idea, that is, contact the ISP.

Ron aka LanWanMan
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Shane B Member Since: May 6, 2015
18 of 25

The reason you are seeing the CAPTCHA is a security layer added by Cloudflare. The reason this is done is due to one of the following reasons:

1. You have been reporting for spam (example forum spam)

2. Someone in your IP neighbourhood (example IP address very close to yours) has been engaged in spamming. spammers often use consecutive IP's to try to avoid being detected as spamming.

3. Botnet behaviour from your IP or an IP close to your IP.

Most of the time it is to prevent forum spam, where people either manually or automated spam by creating profiles and links in forums to spam their website, or to build links for search engines.

You can find more information here:

https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/203366080-Why-do-I-see-a-captcha-or-challenge-page-...

Basically to have the captcha removed would be Upwork's responsibility by either removing the block on your IP, or whitelisting your IP. Otherwise you'll have to continue entering the captcha.

I run a webhosting company and use Cloudflare myself.

Highlighted
Community Guru
19 of 25

@Shane B wrote:

The reason you are seeing the CAPTCHA is a security layer added by Cloudflare. The reason this is done is due to one of the following reasons:

1. You have been reporting for spam (example forum spam)

2. Someone in your IP neighbourhood (example IP address very close to yours) has been engaged in spamming. spammers often use consecutive IP's to try to avoid being detected as spamming.

3. Botnet behaviour from your IP or an IP close to your IP.

Most of the time it is to prevent forum spam, where people either manually or automated spam by creating profiles and links in forums to spam their website, or to build links for search engines.

You can find more information here:

https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/203366080-Why-do-I-see-a-captcha-or-challenge-page-...

Basically to have the captcha removed would be Upwork's responsibility by either removing the block on your IP, or whitelisting your IP. Otherwise you'll have to continue entering the captcha.

I run a webhosting company and use Cloudflare myself.

Thanks, Shane. I am fairly sure none of those pertain to me and that the issue is on oDesk's end. It all started when my freelancer and I closed the contract and left each other feedback at or around the same time (same 10 minute window). That activity was viewed as suspicious (??) and my IP was flagged in some way or the other. Since I wasn't able to leave her feedback, I've been trying it once a day since, which I think made matters worse. Technical support asked me to provide all sorts of information, and regular support confirmed these two issues are related. I really don't understand why closing a contract at the same time would trigger this, or why it's taking 13 days to fix it. 

Highlighted
Community Leader
20 of 25

Kristina,

I am a system algorithm developer by profession and do Web/Application development atleast 10 hours a day and from my experience I can tell you that CDN or Upwork will not supend your IP or mark it malicious until it is shown as malicious by your ISP.  The project I am currently working on have thousands of assets being hosted on CDN and we never got a complaint like this from any of the customers using the application. For your clarification all the traffic between your PC and Upwork is shared through different channels and what gets displayed to Upwork is not information from your PC but instead your ISP. This is an issue with you network and has to be resolved by them. Upwork cannot do anything to help you here. They are blocking you because your ISP is protraying you as malicious to Upwork so it needs to be fixed by them.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS