Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CloudFlare

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
21 of 25

IMPORTANT: Referring to the image, follow the instructions under "What can I do to prevent this from happening in the future." That is, instructions regarding scanning your computer for virus infections or malware.

Judging by the image provided in the original post, while the user attempts to access Web address https://www.upwork.com/find-work-home/ (or is redirected to that URL), instead of DNS sending the user's browser session to the actual core site for domain name upwork.com, the user has been channeled through Upwork's CloudFlare CDN service (a service Upwork pays for). Since the Upwork core site is probably hosted in the US, users outside the US are more likely to be sent to the copy of Upwork pages cached on CDN servers.

From Wikipedia: Content delivery network - "A content delivery network or content distribution network (CDN) is a large distributed system of servers deployed in multiple data centers across the Internet. The goal of a CDN is to serve content to end-users with high availability and high performance." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_delivery_network

Troubleshoot, isolate, and determine the cause: If you are using proxy services or VPN service (probably neither), attempt to isolate the problem's cause by changing the proxy service IP, or try accessing the site without use of the proxy server.

Whether using a proxy service or not, your computer should be setup to use either a static (uncommon; costs more) or dynamic (more likely) IP address. A dynamic IP should change automatically at intervals pre-determined by your Internet service provider. A static IP typically stays unchanged unless you ask your Internet service provider to change it (get it changed). My pointy is, change your computer's IP to determine if for some reason CloudFlare does not recognize the IP, CloudFlare has flagged the IP as suspicious, or maybe the IP has been banned or blacklisted. (IP or IP range)

The troubleshooting advice above is just a shot-in-the dark based on the information provided, and by no means covers all of the possibilities that exist. Between the IP address of your computer, there are also IP addresses in devices along the path to CloudFlare e.g., your in-house router, cable or DSL modem, etc.

Did this help at all, or is everyone even more confused than before I wrote the post? Either way, absolutely no Ks or BAs please.

Ron aka LanWanMan
Highlighted
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
22 of 25

@Ronald T wrote:
<snip>

Whether using a proxy service or not, your computer should be setup to use either a static (uncommon; costs more) or dynamic (more likely) IP address. A dynamic IP should change automatically at intervals pre-determined by your Internet service provider. A static IP typically stays unchanged unless you ask your Internet service provider to change it (get it changed). My pointy is, change your computer's IP to determine if for some reason CloudFlare does not recognize the IP, CloudFlare has flagged the IP as suspicious, or maybe the IP has been banned or blacklisted.

Did this help at all, or is everyone even more confused than before I wrote the post? Either way, absolutely no Ks or BAs please.

Ron, I'd like to add something to your mention of IP's in general, and why that topic in particular prompted me to add the post earlier this week.

But first, thanks for posting that.

I can't speak for Internet Providers outside of the US. So what I say below is only pertinent to US companies. Also, it's been quite a long time since I worked for an ISP, so my terminlogy might be a bit off.

Typically, big chain ISP's (such as Comcast, who I have used both resdentially and commercially) will give all resendential customers a dynamic IP from their pool. This IP will very likely change every week or three or four, but it will probably be from the same pool as the last one. ISP's buy these IP's in big blocks. So, while all of us who are on resdential connections have been assigned an IP from the same pool for weeks and months on end, should they buy a NEW block, and you get assigned an IP from that new block, it can cause issues. This happend to me ONCE, but the site that I had issues was Google.

In addition, I've also had issues when Comcast changed DNS servers. (I now keep a list of DNS servers handy just in case, and manually set them). Some sites would load, and some would not.

I'd also like to mention that when I first started on Upwork, I was living on the East Coast. When I moved to Colorado in 2013, I had a ton of problems with Google. And, for about 36 hours, Upwork, which was then Odesk. I was able to log in, but got messages about my location being incorrect, and I was asked to update it, at which point I could bid on jobs. Some 24 hours after that, everything was fine.

Point being, even if your with the same ISP in 2 different states, chances are the dynamic IP you were assigned will be from a different block in one state, and from yet another block in another state.

Finally, I do know that Comcast charges an arm and a leg for a static IP, and often they don't even offer that to resdential customers. Not sure about the other big providers.

Highlighted
Community Guru
23 of 25

All good points Pandora except that they should not have to pay anything for an IP change...IP range, IP block, whatever we choose to call it. Back when I was doing a lot of social media marketing and off-site SEO I had to have my ISP change my IP to new IP in an entirely different Class "C" IP address range at least once per month. Their systems flagged my account for excessive traffic. They said they were having problems with "kids" playing vidoe games and overloading their servers...lol.... Of course, I eventually fired my ISP!

Off-topic: Why does anyone need a paid static IP anyway these days? There are so many better ways around it. Check out HMA (**Edited for Community Guidelines**) free and paid VPN services. Hmmm...where's my affiliate link when I need it....

Ron aka LanWanMan
Highlighted
Community Guru
24 of 25

It's refreshing to see so many techies jumping through hoops all at once to answer this one! Now, that's what I call "Community" service! A really great bunch of people here -- great people worldwide!

Ron aka LanWanMan
Highlighted
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
25 of 25

Thanks to all that replied. I am not the only one who's affected by the issue and it's something that was not caused by me, as confirmed by support, but is a configuration issue on Upwork's end that they're not able to solve... 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS