cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Combining milestones and hourly paid work in the same contract?

selar
Paul R Member Since: Apr 5, 2016
1 of 3

I have a milestone-based contract, but I've been asked to do some extra work which is related but of a completely different type. It makes sense to bill this by the hour of my time.

If I use the Team App (it'll be my first time doing so) will this automatically bill my time to the client in the background, or does the client need to activate this type of billing from their end? Is it even possible to combine both types of billing on one contract? Does it use the rate I've put on my profile to determine how much to bill?

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
BEST ANSWER
2 of 3

Basically, no. The client can set up additional milestones on your fixed price contract, but if you really need to do the extra work on an hourly basis they would need to create a separate hourly contract for you. You can have both at the same time - I've done this before when I've needed a freelancer to complete one large chunk of work translating a specific document and then to also provide ongoing translation support for several weeks in the absence of my usual translator for that language.

You don't need to use the time tracker app on a fixed price project. You *can*, but it gives you no benefit.

Probably your best bet is to discuss this further with your client.

View solution in original post

selar
Paul R Member Since: Apr 5, 2016
3 of 3

Thanks. I'm reluctant to open a new contract as the existing one was opened before the fee hike. 

Will the client still be able to see my tracked time, even though it's not tied to automatic billing? Or will it only show at my end?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS