🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Commissions only
Page options
guinevere1964
Community Member

Commissions only

Good day, 

Are "commission only" contracts allowed on Upwork.  I have an interview booked, however I understood that "An hour worked, is an hour paid"? In addition, they delay commission payment    

7 REPLIES 7
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Guinevere,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and will assist you further. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
wescowley
Community Member

Guinevere F wrote:

Good day, 

Are "commission only" contracts allowed on Upwork.  I have an interview booked, however I understood that "An hour worked, is an hour paid"? In addition, they delay commission payment    

I don't think there's anything prohibiting those and I've seen people post that they've used them successfully. But, especially as a newish freelancer here, I'd avoid them. There will be no guarantee you'll be paid and no payment protection from Upwork. Combine that with delayed payment, and you're setting yourself up for a lot of work with no pay.

Thank you for your reply
martina_plaschka
Community Member

I would never agree to such a construct, they only way it could work is if you have access to the relevant data that are the basis of the commission calculation, e.g. a sales report in the client's ERP. If you can't access that, don't do it. 

For commission-based work, I recommend that Upwork freelancers only agree to hourly contracts that pay them for all the time that they log, PLUS the client will pay them commissions.

Thank you for your reply

Thank you for your reply
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members