🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Communicating With Clients
Page options
bookwormlisa
Community Member

Communicating With Clients

Hi all,

I'm relatively new to Upwork and there have been quite a few times where I've seen a listing I wasn't a great candidate for, but was *related* to (adjacent) my skillset/interests, and would love the ability to communicate with a client outside of a proposal. Just wondering if this has been talked about within the community. 

9 REPLIES 9
dd63c576
Community Member

I believe it is better to have contact with Clients with in the Upwork platform. This way you are safe.

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Lisa, there is not a way to communicate with clients outside the proposal process. If there were, then clients would be absolutely buried alive in unsolicited messages from FLs. 

You're right. I can def see it from that point of view. 

prestonhunter
Community Member

Lisa, communicating with a client outside of Upwork's established protocol, based on information you see in a job proposal, is an explicit violation of Upwork TOS.

Thanks for the reply. I think what I was trying to get at is, has there been any discussion on possible changes to the platform in this regard? It would be nice to maybe talk to a potential client without using connects and say, "Hey, I may not be the right candidate for this job, but this is adjacent to what I'm doing over here. Have you thought about *this*?"

Lisa C wrote:

I think what I was trying to get at is, has there been any discussion on possible changes to the platform in this regard? 

And after looking at his 4359 messages within an hour, the client loses the will to live, closes their Upwork account, never to be seen again.

There is nothing stopping you from applying and saying "Hey, I may not be the right candidate for this job, but this is adjacent to what I'm doing over here. Have you thought about *this*?" in your proposal.

Good point.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Lisa C wrote:

Hi all,

I'm relatively new to Upwork and there have been quite a few times where I've seen a listing I wasn't a great candidate for, but was *related* to (adjacent) my skillset/interests, and would love the ability to communicate with a client outside of a proposal. Just wondering if this has been talked about within the community. 

It has been mentioned before. Generally it is safe to assume that the client will not want to discuss his job post with freelancers who feel less qualified for the job. But feel free to start a conversation via proposal, even if you really don't want the job. Could be interesting. 

Thanks for the response 🙂

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths