🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Communicating outside Upwork
Page options
thuylinh2812
Community Member

Communicating outside Upwork

I am new to Upwork and I just landed my first job. During the interview via Zoom that we made on Upwork platform, the client told me that he chose me for the project and would like to know my email so he can send me more documents. Then after the call he sent me the offer right away. However, I typed my email address first in the message before I accepted my offer. So basically, I shared my email one minute before the contract was in place. I wondered if this violates Terms of service of Upwork and if my account would be banned.
I am really confused now and I’m looking forward to the reply.
7 REPLIES 7
petra_r
Community Member

Linh H wrote:
 I wondered if this violates Terms of service of Upwork and if my account would be banned.

No, if course not.

Thank your for you reply!
I was worried because I read that it’s not allowed to share email before the contract is in place.

Linh H wrote:
Thank your for you reply!
I was worried because I read that it’s not allowed to share email before the contract is in place.

It's not, but I don't think anyone would quibble with that timing.

One of my clients requested me to contact on telegram because of the wired behavior of the Upwork app on android. Can we do that? I've been working for him for one month.

mipaparazzi
Community Member

Hello Linh, since he has hired you, there is no violation of upwork terms, you violate when you send informations prior to hire. But ensure to accept the offer first before releasing extra details in case of future refrence.

jr-translation
Community Member

Yes, since he has hired you.

You are not allowed to exchange contact information with a client before you have been hired for the first time.

mwiggenhorn
Community Member

And "hired" means an official Upwork contract.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members