🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Communication Outside Upwork
Page options
shazma-r
Community Member

Communication Outside Upwork

Hi, lately a lot of clients on upwork have been requesting me for communication outside upwork for example; zoom meetings or WhatsApp calls and similarly, sometimes client is simply unable to explain their requirements in text so i ask them to reach me via WhatsApp call as Upwork call doesn't work in my region i have tried many times. Also, sometimes for accesses or share any further details via google docs etc clients ask for my email. I just wanted to confirm how does Upwork's rules & policies responds to such incidents? As my chats have been very clear in this regard i am just worried if i get any penalty or suspension. Such messages often get highlighted in the messenger. Looking forward to your response!

2 REPLIES 2
petra_r
Community Member

Shazma R wrote:

Also, sometimes for accesses or share any further details via google docs etc clients ask for my email. I just wanted to confirm how does Upwork's rules & policies responds to such incidents? As my chats have been very clear in this regard i am just worried if i get any penalty or suspension. Such messages often get highlighted in the messenger. Looking forward to your response!

You are allowed to communicate and work with clients any way that suits the client and yourself. None of Upwork's terms of service are violated. It's just the actual payments that MUST go through Upwork at all times.

bizwriterjohn
Community Member

I recommend that you spin up a professional communications platform, so as to have the capability to respond to client requests for appropriate business communication off-platform.   It is always prudent to keep work/deliverables dialogs as well a financial dialogs on the Upwork email facility.  It can be a sign of intention to scam, when a prospect wants to take a contractor off platform for communication.  Common sense and caution prevail.

My communication platform includes:

A professional Zoom subscription
* At times clients want to engage in 3-way video conferences that do not include the Upwork hiring client.  The Zoom professional platform enables multi-participant meetings.

A Skype account.
* At times, clients benefit from instant messaging and, as with Zoom, a 3-way or more-way video conference call can be established without requiring everyone to be on the Upwork platform.
* A for-fee account can also be established on Skype to enable direct phone calls.  This is useful when phone communication across international boundaries is desired.

A Gmail business account.
* At times, email communications may span beyond those who have access to the 1:1 email thread facility provided by Upwork.  This style of email facility supports multiple threads, which can also be of benefit to client communications.

There are other options for each of the above.  Those three have worked well for me.

This will help you gain a competitive advantage with prospective clients:

"I have a professional communication platform established that can augment the Upwork email and video facility.  I have done this to provide you with best-fit choices that enable your communications most effectively".

Type in those words.  You have just set yourself apart from those who have not made the effort to develop a professional platform of communications nor thought in advance about the communication requirements that cannot be handled by the 1:1 communication platform offered by Upwork.

Boom-boomer who loves ice cream.
(My nickname.  lol... never had one before.  I approve).

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members