🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Communication after a contract
Page options
tomzilla1
Community Member

Communication after a contract

What would you do if a contract was ended abruptly by client without notice, and then comes to you a month later asking you to help them "transition"? And constantly bugging you daily and expect the same level of communication and work for free.

14 REPLIES 14
michael_skaggs
Community Member

Clients end contracts for all sorts of reasons (or no reason) all the time. What matters there is "did they pay you?" and "did they leave you accurate feedback?" If so, then you could always tell them you would be more than happy to start a new contract with them for an agreed upon rate.

But if they're expecting work for free, or think you "owe" them because of your previous contract, just block them. They can't do anything to your stats or feedback at this point, so if they're gonna be a hassle, just block them and move on with your life.

It started out well, but the client had another "partner" that was acting inappropriately, and they kept on having vacations which caused delay on the project and later I guess shifted the blame to me (they ended the project on a holiday morning and wished me best of luck)... Also they've been trying to passive aggressively replace me, even though I know that's what they're trying to do... could've just had an honest talk? How do I block messages from the client?

Click on the client's name in a message and you'll get a dropdown with a block option.

But...why? Why wouldn't you just respond that you're not interested in working with them further and go on with your life?

re: "How do I block messages from the client?"

- Open up the desktop Upwork app.

- Find a conversation or "room" in which you were exchanging messages with the client.

- Click on their name at the top of the window. You will see a drop-down menu.

- Click on the bottom item: "Block..."

Screen Shot 2019-06-11 at 7.35.48 PM.png

It really is ridiculous that this client is asking you to work for free.

YOU wouldn't do that if YOU had previously hired a freelancer.

If you wanted to work with somebody else again, you would hire them again and pay them. Whether it is to do new work, or help with "transition" or anything else.

If it was ME PERSONALLY in this situation, then I would be willing to help a LITTLE bit for free (even though it is wrong for the client to ask). But if the client is asking many things, taking up more of my time, then I would politely ask them how they want to pay me.

"Peter:

I think it is fantastic that you are continuing with the project. I really want to help you do so, but in situations like this I'm always careful to avoid Upwork's rules against asking for free work. Would you like to use the client-side 'Pay Bonus' Tool to pay a $100 retainer to cover new work and consultation, and then I can tell you when to re=charge that? Or would you prefer to set up a new hourly contract? Either way is fine with me."

I can be too nice sometimes, and some people take advantage of that... This client is one of those people. I was pretty worn out by them to be honest. Even though I was responding to them multiple times a day, they need more. I'm in marketing, I can't guarantee sales..., but somehow some clients think that way (and there's things that I needed them to do, but never followed through on their end). It was promising, but that partner really got this project downhill. I am relieved to not have this client anymore.

Tom Z wrote:

How do I block messages from the client?

That's the client who gave you the poor feedback in May, right?

You want to be a bit careful in case the client disputes and the "we" part in your response to the client's feedback could come back to bite you as it is an hourly contract and thus there can't be any "we" ...

Tell the client you are not available and wish them good luck. To block a client just click on the client's picture / avatar in the message thread, and choose "Block ..."

block.jpg

By the way, this doesn't work. Apparently the client can email Upwork and Upwork sends you email asking you to reach out to the client. Man, this client is a nightmare.

tlsanders
Community Member

Tom Z wrote:

What would you do if a contract was ended abruptly by client without notice, and then comes to you a month later asking you to help them "transition"? And constantly bugging you daily and expect the same level of communication and work for free.

I don't know what you do, so I have no idea what you mean by "transition." If the client had been a good client and needed some additional help with what I'd done for them, I would probably just go ahead and do it if it was very brief (15-20 minutes) and would invite them to open another contract if it were more involved. But, it sounds like your client was not a good client. If the original contract ended badly, I would tell the client I was sorry but I was not available to do further work for them.

re: "I was pretty worn out by them to be honest. Even though I was responding to them multiple times a day, they need more."

There's nothing wrong with a client wearing you out and communicating with you multiple times a day... If that's the kind of work you've signed up for.

But they've got to pay for the privilege. And it is clear that this client was NOT doing so.

Preston H wrote:

But they've got to pay for the privilege. And it is clear that this client was NOT doing so.

It was an hourly contract, so if the client did not pay for wearing him out, that would be on him for not logging the time.

I use "we" in professional settings but it means "I". I am a one man show due to my expertise, just like most freelancers on here I assume. I was semi billing the client for the "chats" - but in the end, it wasn't worth charging them (billing them an hour for six 10 minute replies costs me more than the $ hourly rate, does that make sense?) I've met 3 or 4 clients in my past 3 years on here that were quite draining...

Tom Z wrote:

but in the end, it wasn't worth charging them (billing them an hour for six 10 minute replies costs me more than the $ hourly rate, does that make sense?) 

No, that doesn't make sense at all. They send you a message or chat--you click to start the time tracker--that takes roughly 2 seconds. You stop talking to them again--another two second click. To bill them for six 10 minutes interactions takes a grand total of less than thirty seconds and nets you an hour's pay.

re: "By the way, this doesn't work. Apparently the client can email Upwork and Upwork sends you email asking you to reach out to the client. Man, this client is a nightmare."

Ugh.

You blocked the pesky client, and they reached out to Upwork, to try to have you contact them.

Yes, it IS possible for a client to do that. This has happened to me a couple times. It's rare (considering I've had over 200 jobs), but it can happen.

Tom, if I were in your position, I would UNBLOCK the client, and then start saying YES to everything they ask. Like this:

Client: "Tom, can you tell me how to reconfigure the Bas-T-100 file so that it auto-starts?"

Tom: "Yes, that is pretty straightforward. If you go ahead and use the client-side Pay Bonus tool to pay $10, I'll send you an instruction file."

[WAIT TO BE PAID. Then send the file.]

If the client does NOT pay you, then just copy and paste your reply the next time he asks. Except instead of $10, you are now asking for $15.00.

REMEMBER: There IS NO OPEN CONTRACT. So there is absolutely nothing that the client can do to negatively impact your profile or JSS.

And the client can't complain to Upwork that you're asking for payment, because it is Upwork's own rule that client's can't ask freelancers to work for free.

Thanks, yea he's claiming I'm damaging his business and violating TOS by not giving him access (I can't)... It's in regards to a zapier setup I've done to achieve certain automations, he was paying for my time back then to make it work and not actually owning it (it's my account). I can't share login because I have other clients in there, and zapier can't transfer (I reached out to their support). I made a video of all the configurations and sent to him, I hope this is the last time I hear from him, very annoying and unprofessional.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths