🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Communication
Page options
a489cf62
Community Member

Communication

It is against terms of service to communicate outside of UpWork BEFORE a contract has been made correct?

12 REPLIES 12
harisfaisal1
Community Member

Hi Caleb, 

If a client is asking you to communicate outside of upwork before the contract starts they are breaking ToS and if you decide to communicate witht hem so are you.

Also I've found that a lot of shady job posts involve communication outside of upwork before the job even starts.

You would be well within your rights to report such behavior.

Thank You for the response.

the-right-writer
Community Member

Yes.

Please read everything in this post. You obviously need to learn about Upwork and how the platform functions.

I can't read through terms of service and anything else your linking to in one sitting. I have to do it over time.

Please just leave a yes or no answer if your going to answer. Thank You.

I did. The answer is yes. Take your  time, but read everything in that post and follow every single link. Until you do, you are a target for scammers.

elisa_b
Community Member

"I can't read through terms of service and anything else your linking to in one sitting. I have to do it over time."

...as long as you do this before applying to any jobs. Beware, this platform is full of scammers, especially in your field of work.

The problem is, the most dangerous areas are the ones you don't think to ask about. 

There's no need to read everything in one sitting, but you definitely should read it all before sending out proposals, and definitely before accepting any work.

a489cf62
Community Member

As a general repy to the answers given, it seems all I hear from you or anyone else in videos or blogs that had any sort of success on UpWork is "Read The Terms of Service."

1. If I may ask, exactly how long did it take you to read the terms of service along with anything else that apparently needs to be read? Also, did you soak everything in the first time reading through?

2. Why are UpWork and successful freelancers on UpWork so adamant about the Terms of Service? I don't know that I have come across any other platform whether your trying to make money on it or not that pushes reading terms of service as  much as this one.

To work on a platform where my money is involved, you bet I read everything about Upwork, including the Terms, before I even looked at setting up a profile. How long it took is irrelevant, as everyone reads at a different pace. The important thing is to read it. The vast majority of freelancers just start applying for jobs. Yes, I understood and retained everything, but again, everyone is different. If you need to read it in stages, over time, that's fine, too. Just don't do ANYTHING on the platform until you read every word, go through the scams, and all the Upwork advice for new freelancers.

The Terms of Service is what keeps foolish ones from doing unwise things that primarily impact Upwork. However, if you don't violate the Terms, you will probably never encounter a scam. Terms of Service are to protect the business, but by following the rules, you protect yourself.

Upwork has more clients, therefore, more scammers because Upwork let anything that could use a keyboard, even a little bit, become a freelancer. The unskilled freelancers flooded the platform, with the scammers close behind. The scammers feast on the easily led and unskilled, and there is no shortage of people who think they are going to make lots of money with no skills.

Why do I "push" the Terms of Service? Because if you follow those rules, you won't be scammed. Despite all the advice, working with 200+ people, hardly anyone wants to do the work of being an adult in business.

No one receives any benefit from insisting new and inexperienced freelancers read and follow the Terms, it is because we care. We see and hear from freelancers every day who have lost money because they didn't follow simple rules. I would think you would be grateful for the advice of extremely experienced, quality freelancers who generously post their knowledge of the platform and freelancing. (I am not including myself in this category) I have spoken with numerous freelancers who thanked me for warning them.

The truth is, no one should need someone else to tell them how to function in basic business. However, the majority of people on the platform have no clue what business means.

So, we keep reminding people who haven't done their work, how to avoid being scammed. Instead of listing everything to do and not do - we have the Terms.

Everyone has free will. If you come to the forum, crying you have been scammed because some evil client made you go outside of Upwork because they promised you an outrageous amount of money for nothing, don't expect sympathy.

If I may ask, exactly how long did it take you to read the terms of service along with anything else that apparently needs to be read? Also, did you soak everything in the first time reading through?

Approximately 2 hours. I did not memorize everything, but I did learn where to find relevant information quickly if questions arose and alerted myself to issues I might not have thought to be concerned about/go looking for. 

I've made more than $200,000 on Upwork and been paid without any complications for every job except one tiny one I refused payment on because I didn't want the client to use my work, so it was well worth investing a couple of hours.

Upwork doesn't require that people read the ToS.

I think people SHOULD read the ToS.

But if somebody doesn't read the ToS and is willing to take their lumps, then I've come to accept that is reality.

The truth of the matter is, whether we like it or not, most people won't read it.

But if somebody doesn't read it and gets lumps, they need to be humble about it.

Both clients and freelancers who are less experienced on the platform and who don't read the ToS are likely to encounter some bumps along the path while onboarding.

a489cf62
Community Member

Thank you for more of the answers and yes I am grateful for them.

I am not someone that was looking to try and make some insane income, or even a surplus.

I was just looking for something somewhat humble and then go from there.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members