🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Companies post jobs and the next day they cl...
Page options
beatriz_garcia_e
Community Member

Companies post jobs and the next day they closed it, but they did not hire anybody.

Why does an agency post a job, interviewed freelancers, showed their interest, sent skilltests and the next day they closed it, but they did not hire anybody, in their Job in Progress does not appear such job.  And again the  other day they do the same, and the next day too.  What is the purpose? Because freelances only lose their time, their connects and got excited thinking they probably would get  the job. I noticed the interviewers are Upwork Freelancers that they hire as Executive Assistance for a few hours I found them in Job in Progress. Thanks. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Beatriz,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention I will share your report with our team for further review. 

We also encourage you to let us know if a TOS violation has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here.

~ Nikola
Upwork

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
JoanneP

Hi Beatriz, 

Could you please send me a PM with the job post link that you're referring to so I can check with the team? You can PM me by clicking on my name. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hi, Joanne, as I have never posted a problem at the platform I did not know how it was managed, but by mistake I write something to Nikola, another moderator, and it was marked as solved and as the best answer. I would like you to know that your post was the best to show real interest, you asked me for the link of the job. Nikola told me he was going to report it, but how he was going to do it if he did not know the job I was referring to.
Thanks 😊
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Beatriz G wrote:

Why does an agency post a job, interviewed freelancers, showed their interest, sent skilltests and the next day they closed it, but they did not hire anybody, in their Job in Progress does not appear such job.  And again the  other day they do the same, and the next day too.  What is the purpose? Because freelances only lose their time, their connects and got excited thinking they probably would get  the job. I noticed the interviewers are Upwork Freelancers that they hire as Executive Assistance for a few hours I found them in Job in Progress. Thanks. 

Hard to say. Maybe they want free work, maybe they are scammers. 

Why would they hire anyone if people are willing to complete "test" projects for free?

Before you bid, you should always check the clients hiring rate and if it's poor, don't apply. And if they want you to do a test, quote them a price for that. Clients can only take advantage of you if you let them.

Christine, first of all thanks for your tips.
As you advised me, before I bid, I always check the client’s hire rating, their Job in Progress to get an idea of how much do they pay, the freelancer’s reviews as well if it is a veryfied payment company.

In fact, it is an Upwork Plus Client:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

The links of the skill tests I did are these:

Thanks again.

Hi Beatriz,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention I will share your report with our team for further review. 

We also encourage you to let us know if a TOS violation has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here.

~ Nikola
Upwork

Nikola, thanks for your interest .
I think it is important that you know the job I am referring to:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

The skill tests they asked me to do were these:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Thanks again,

Hello Christine,

Christine A wrote:
Why would they hire anyone if people are willing to complete "test" projects for free?

Friggin recruiters do this all the time!!! Then they promise to put your name in front of many companies in their network, looking for your particular experience and skills...blah, blah, blah....!

Here are just a few, not here on Upwork, that I'm aware of, but who have hit me up and asked me to take a skill test or write a sample article.

LinkedIn

Indeed

Monster

Career Builder

Glassdoor

Aquent

Thanks Martina, I think as you said they are scammers, because the test I did was not related to the job they offer. It was supposed to be a small skill test related to sequences and reading comprehension to rate my English level.

It is the link of the job I mentioned:

Thank you very much for your assistance and interest.

Beatriz G wrote:

Thanks Martina, I think as you said they are scammers, because the test I did was not related to the job they offer. It was supposed to be a small skill test related to sequences and reading comprehension to rate my English level.

It is the link of the job I mentioned:

Thank you very much for your assistance and interest.

The links to the tests don't work. even before being edited for community guidelines. But I don't think the client is a scammer. The have had dozens of jobs done here and spent $60k, They might be the type of people who don't pay attention to their job ads and ended up giving you a test for a job you hadn't applied for.

tlbp
Community Member

Beatriz G wrote:

They may be taking people off Upwork (against the rules) or scamming them. 

You should look at the prospective client's hiring history and the average amount they pay before submitting a proposal. If time or connects are precious, don't apply to posts by new clients--let someone else take the risk on those. 

New freelancers are candy to scammers. Don't ever get excited about landing a gig until you get a contract offer and accept it. Then, don't get excited about being paid unless you record your hours using the time tracker and adding relevant memos. 

Do a search of the forums (or the internet at large) for "freelance job scams. Educate yourself and be discerning when it comes to sending applications. 

Good luck! 

ETA: Based on the follow up comments, these may be legitimate recruiters who are collecting candidate names for future reference. I've seen several comments across various forums about recruiters "infiltrating" Upwork lately. They aren't always interested in hiring immediately, they just want to add you to their list. So, they get you to complete the basic test then file your profile away in case they can place you. Annoying. 

On the plus side, unless you bid 10 connects for the gig, you should come out ahead if you apply and they accept you for an interview. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members