🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Company listing you on their website
Page options
alice_schluger
Community Member

Company listing you on their website

Is it within the Upwork guidelines for a client to list you an employee on their website?

1 REPLY 1
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Is it within the Upwork guidelines for a client to list you an employee on their website?"

Upwork has no rule about this.

So the answer to your question is: Yes, a client may do this.

I am a freelancer, but I am personally listed on the websites of some of the clients I work for. I never seek to be listed, but some clients ask me to be. Here is an example, which I won't provide a direct link to, but it provides you an idea:

Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 10.06.43 AM.png

Here's a Q/A I made up just now to help you:

Q: Is it acceptable for an Upwork client to list you on their website?

A: Yes.

Q: Is it 100% accurate if a client lists you on an "employee" page, even though you are a freelancer?

A: No. But nobody cares. And if the page doesn't ACTUALLY say "employee", but says something like "our team", then this page COULD indeed be 100% accurate.

Q: What if a client lists me on an employee or client page without asking for my permission?

A: I would say that is unprofessional and unexpected. But doing so does not violate Upwork ToS.

Q: What if I don't want to be listed?

A: Just tell the client you don't want to be listed. They'll remove it.

Q: What if I don't want to be listed, and I tell them to remove me, and they don't?

A: I don't expect that to happen, but if it does, then one option you have would be to quit working for the client. Another option is for you to ask nicely for them to remove the listing, while providing a more extensive explanation about why you don't want to be listed. You could also talk directly to the person who manages the page, and ask her to make changes.

Q: What if I am NOT listed, but I want to be?

A: Just ask them. They probably will do it. If they don't, then respect their decision.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths