Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Company or separate client account for freelancers

Community Guru
Md Rahatur R Member Since: Apr 17, 2013
1 of 5

Hi guys,
here is the scenario, as a software developer we often need banners, icons created. Also some time the client asks us to get the SEO work done by an expert. So to get those bits done by experts I will need to hire.

So as a freelancer which option would be good? Creating a company or a totally separate client account?

I just do not want my freelancer account to be effected or hurt anyway. So what do you suggest?

Community Guru
Tony H Member Since: Nov 10, 2011
2 of 5

I do this all the time, from day one.

I have a freelancer account (which I post with now), my own business account, and I also manage client accounts.

Short term or one-off tasks are done through my business account. Somehow I've managed to spend over $6000 on outsourcing small tasks, with an average hourly rate over $7/hr. These are tasks for both my projects and for client projects. The client is fully aware that i outsource to niche experts for some things. I pay for outsourcing using my own money, as part of the overall budget a client has hired me to complete their contract.

Long term positions such as VA's for clients are done through their accounts.

The freelancer account is for my own income/education & sole usage.

I believe oDesk has changed the way account are (or are not) connected. You'll need to ask support how to get set up properly. The rules have changed a couple times.

Community Guru
3 of 5

The "Company" option was not there before. And people used to create freelancer account and client accounts separately.

Now considering the present options which one should it be? Company or separate client account?

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 5

Hi Rahatur,

Users are not allowed to open multiple accounts. You will need to create a Client-Company profile based on the account you currently have. In order to do it, please go to your Settings and scroll down a bit. There on the left you will see "+ Create a Company." You will then be able to switch between your freelalncer and client profiles by clicking on the name in the right upper corner.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
5 of 5

Valeria, thanks for the clarification.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS