Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Competition sure is getting fierce

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
1 of 17

A project was just posted and I typed up my proposal (not copy and paste) after reviewing the videos.  This took me about 3 minutes and by the time I submitted there were already 9 people ahead of me.  (Sweating, sweating)  I'm gonna have to get quicker lol.  Smiley LOL

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
mark8979
Community Leader
Mark C Member Since: Aug 8, 2015
2 of 17

I know what you mean, there are some very fast applications. It usually takes me several minutes to write an application, often longer.

I managed to be the first applicant for a job yesterday - now I'm wondering if I've missed something. Was the job such an obvious scam to everyone else but me, and that's why I was first?

elastella
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
3 of 17

Since Upwork lists proposals according to some ominous "good fit/best match" algorithm anyway, I really wouldn't worry about being first or last. If it's related to the bot that recommends jobs to me, it doesn't even matter whether you're actually qualified for the job or not.

You can relax!

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
4 of 17

Ela, you just won the "Dorothy Parker Satirical Nose Thump” of the year award.

And yeh, I realize Ela's comment is from a year ago.

lanwanman
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
5 of 17

When I first started on odesk in 2009, and through 2012, I thought competition was indeed "fierce." Specifically, competing against freelancers willing to work for far less money than most seek these days.

These days, the problem I face on Upwork is determining how to find the best jobs and quality clients like those I worked with on oDesk circa 2012 and earlier.

How do I define quality clients on Upwork?

1) Clients that post jobs with the intention (and practice) of conducting interviews and hiring.

2) Clients that participate in timely communication and collaboration.

3) Clients that pay on time, end jobs when appropriate, and give well-earned positive feedback and ratings both public and private.

4) Clients that have a verified payment method, which should be a requirement before a job can be posted.

How do I find quality clients on Upwork?

I don't, at least not in an effective and timely manner. Why not?

1) The freelancers' "My Job Feed" feature, which is supposedly "all saved searches combined," provides too many irrelevant results.

2) The freelancers' "Advanced Search" feature does not always build the appropriate search string for complex searches.

3) I can no longer save custom search strings entered into the Find Work "Search for Jobs" field adjacent the "Search" button (support ticket is still open, and support is actively trying to resolve the issue).

What is an example of a custom search string used for job searches on Upwork?

((wordpress OR seo OR php OR mysql OR whmcs OR "business development" OR "website development" OR "internet marketing" OR "search engine optimization") AND (australia OR canada OR "united kingdom" OR "united states") AND NOT asap AND NOT urgent) AND skills: ("website-development")

Note: Remove the space between skills: and ("website-development") before using the custom search string above. The space was inserted above to avoid displaying the emoticon: Smiley Sad

CAUTION: Saving searches from multiple custom search strings; or searches from a custom search string along side any other saved searches produces poor results.

Ron aka LanWanMan
jsutherland
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
6 of 17

It's going to get a lot worse a millions?? of Elance people move over to Upwork and their clients do not. 

Since Elance people have spent so much time trashing Upwork I don't see a reasonable expectation of clients moving to Upwork.

Let's hope I am wrong.

cmkdakota
Carla K Member Since: Aug 9, 2016
7 of 17

Are these jobs valid or are most of them spamish or hoaxish?  I am a decent writer (as you can see in my first sentence, ha ha) and have submitted several proposals.  Half of them don't even show an outcome and the other half do at least show that another freelancer was chosen or that the positions were filled. 

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
8 of 17

Change your overview from "plz give me job chance" to "Look at how awesome I am."

cmkdakota
Carla K Member Since: Aug 9, 2016
9 of 17

Are you referring to my profile?  Please enlighten.....

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
10 of 17

@Carla K wrote:

Are you referring to my profile?  Please enlighten.....

Yes I am.  

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS