Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Competition sure is getting fierce

lascap_01
Community Guru
Pascal S Member Since: Mar 23, 2016
11 of 17

Sooo tired to be undercut by some 4$/h poeple 

its not fair what can you do against it?

there should be a reasonable minimum fee

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
12 of 17

@Pascal S wrote:

Why are you fighting against $4/hour people? I am never undercut by them. Those people and I are never competing. I don't bid on the same jobs that they do because those clients are not in my league.

They can bid on the same jobs that I bid on, however. But in this case, they don't stand a chance since the client is not in their league.

And what's a reasonable minimum fee? For who? From where? For what kind of job? The only reasonable minimum fee is the fee under which you're not working.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
lascap_01
Community Guru
13 of 17

@Rene K wrote:

@Pascal S wrote:

Why are you fighting against $4/hour people? I am never undercut by them. Those people and I are never competing. I don't bid on the same jobs that they do because those clients are not in my league.

They can bid on the same jobs that I bid on, however. But in this case, they don't stand a chance since the client is not in their league.

And what's a reasonable minimum fee? For who? From where? For what kind of job? The only reasonable minimum fee is the fee under which you're not working.

on most of all storyboards hourly jobs i bid on i see a 4$ or a 5$/hour 

so its like you are telling me to quit my storyboard job and leave it to them

good for you if you dont deal with it.. i have to

and as far as reasonable fees... what about Upwork doesnt take 20% and setup a fair 10$ minimum for example.

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
14 of 17

So there are no jobs anywhere for your chosen career that pay more than $4 per hour? Then, yes, it is time for a new career. If there are jobs that pay more- go and find them. 

I'm sorry, but freelancing is a business, not a ticket to free job placement services. 

It is up to you where to market your services. Don't waste your time on any platform that doesn't provide you with qualified leads that meet your criteria. 

lascap_01
Community Guru
15 of 17

its funny that almost everytime someone say that something is wrong on Upwork you guru guys go with the great reply :

"go get a new job or change your career"

hummmm

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
16 of 17

Pascal, if you post a few more times on the forum, you too will be a 'guru'. Forum labels are meaningless.

However, if the 'gurus' suggest getting a new job, they may have a point. Freelancing is not about some Internet site ensuring you will get work. It is about you ensuring you will get work on that Internet site, and the sort of work that is going to pay the bills.

If you are so unsure of yourself that you complain about the minnows (rather than the sharks) then perhaps you should ask yourself if you are cut out to be a freelancer. It is not easy and it takes ages to set up a good client base whether on- or offsite.

There are a handful of very talented people who have no trouble making an excellent living on Upwork. The rest of us have to hustle for work where we can find it. If you are not prepared to do this, then freelancing is not for you.

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
17 of 17

@Pascal S wrote:

on most of all storyboards hourly jobs i bid on i see a 4$ or a 5$/hour 

so its like you are telling me to quit my storyboard job and leave it to them

No, this is not what I wrote nor what I suggest. I invite you to read my answer one more time. Pascal, there probably are people who bid that low on the jobs that I bid on, I don't know since I can't see the bids, I don't have a premium account.

But I only bid on jobs that have clear clues that the client is seeking a professional, highly qualified, provider. Those lowballers don't stand a chance with such clients.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS