🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Completed 80-90% of milestone but client hasn...
Page options
springkick
Community Member

Completed 80-90% of milestone but client hasn't responded for 1 month

Hi all,

I've completed 80-90% of a milestone for a client but I can't carry on with finishing the milestone without input from the client. The client has now not responded for over a month. I don't want to submit the work as I haven't finished completely and it wouldn't be fair for me to receive the full amount of the milestone. How do I proceed from here?

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member

Dan G wrote:

How do I proceed from here?

Submit for 80% or 90% (whichever it is) by editing the amount accordingly.

Didn't realise I could do that. That makes sense. How long should I wait until submitting do you think?

Dan G wrote:

Didn't realise I could do that. That makes sense. How long should I wait until submitting do you think?

If the client hasn't responded to anything for a month they are clearly not all that invested. You could add a note that makes it perfectly plain that you'd be only too happy to finish the rest, the client can then set up a furthermilestone using the money left in escrow after you requested the lower figure.

As the client has two weeks to act after you submit, you might want to do it soon, if not now.

re: "How long should I wait until submitting do you think?"

Submit now.

If it was me, I would not have accepted the fixed-price contract until I had all input files and all information necessary to finish the task. I always structure fixed-price tasks in a way that assumes zero communication with clients after the task begins. That way, I never need to worry about a client who does not respond.

But... in your situation... you didn't do that.

What you should have done after you completed the work that you can do without hearing back from the client is wait one business day and then submit the work while editing the amount to reflect the percentage complete.

Had you done that, you would have been paid two weeks ago. You could have already received your money and closed the contract, with a short note letting the client know that he can contact you if he would like to have you continue working on the project.

That is my opinion.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members