cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Completed a job for a client but he canceled project

junaiid-khattak
Junaid K Member Since: Sep 5, 2016
1 of 8

Hi, i am absoultly new here. I did a small project for a client where he needed help with setting up cordova project on a windows machine. There were some problems with his enviornment configuration. I resolved those issues remotly on his machine using teamviewer and generated an apk for him. After i finished the job he vanished and later cancelled the project. I would like to know if there is anything i can do in this situation?

screeler
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 8

@Junaid K wrote:

Hi, i am absoultly new here. I did a small project for a client where he needed help with setting up cordova project on a windows machine. There were some problems with his enviornment configuration. I resolved those issues remotly on his machine using teamviewer and generated an apk for him. After i finished the job he vanished and later cancelled the project. I would like to know if there is anything i can do in this situation?

Hi, did you accept a contract, or did the client convince you to do the work without any terms and with a promise to pay?  If you didn't have a contract and worked for free, you won't see your money from this user.

Read everything you can about landing your first job and read as much as you can in the forums abut working so you have a better idea of what goes on here. Oh and read the terms of service so you don't violate them. 

Sorry this happened and hope it never happens again. 

View solution in original post

screeler
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
3 of 8

thanks for the accepted answer but you should probably wait under a moderator comes on and gives you some official info. I edited my answer cuz it was so **** long! lol.. I wonder if it took. I'll check. 😉 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 8

re: "I would like to know if there is anything i can do in this situation?"

Probably not.

You did not provide all the details, but here are the most common possibilities for all Upwork jobs:

1) You were hired for an hourly contract. You logged time. You will be paid automatically. It doesn't matter if the client "disappears" or not.

2) You were hired for a funded fixed-rate contract. You did the work and submitted it, or submitted a description of the work you did. You'll be paid automatically, even if the client disappears and never logs onto Upwork again.

3) You were never actually hired. The client tricked you into working for free. You did not take the time to read the directions, so you're learning this way. This is fine. MANY new contractors learn this way. Maybe the time you spent on this job is less than the time it would have takent to read the directions, in which case you came out ahead of those who read the directions (in terms of amount of time invested).

junaiid-khattak
Junaid K Member Since: Sep 5, 2016
5 of 8

Hi Preston, you are right he didnt hire me. I did the job on his machine via teamviewer. I trusted the guy but turns out i was wrong. I will be more carefull in future. Thanks for your help

beccam97
Rebecca M Member Since: Sep 26, 2016
6 of 8

This happened to me too. I completed the editing **edited for Community Guidelines** asked me to complete. He said he was giving me the job, to "hold on." I went ahead and finished the work and waited on him to send me the job, refreshing the job page every ten seconds. He ended up declining my proposal. I feel stupid for taking the time out of my day. I should have waited until he for SURE sent me the job. Instead, this man lied to me. I suppose it is my fault, however, for completing the job before I obtained the actual invite.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 8

Rebecca, it is good that you have a positive attitude about this. You learned from your mistake and you won't make the same mistake again.

As contractors, we can always be polite, while at the same time remaining firm about the rules.

No contract? No work.

It is an easy thing for clients to click the Hire button and establish a real contract.

kim_wong
Community Leader
Kim W Member Since: Dec 10, 2015
8 of 8

Rebecca, always wait until you are actually hired.  As you spend more time freelancing you will be continually surprised as to the behavior of some clients.  While you may never know the real reasons behind their change or cancellation, be prepared to be amazed.  Once, after spending a decent amount of time chatting with a client, he agreed to hire me.  We talked about terms and milestones.  He asked specific questions regarding the wording that he should use in the job offer.  We ended our chat so he could send me an offer ASAP.  Less than 3 minutes later I received the "Declined - Chose another freelancer" message.

Your sore neck is a result of all that head shaking.  

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS