🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Completed jobs not showing up on my profile w...
Page options
emtree
Community Member

Completed jobs not showing up on my profile when logged out

Hi,

I recently visited my profile when I was logged out/incognito window, and I saw that on my profile it says that I have only 9 completed jobs, which is not correct. I have completed 84 jobs up untill now and I can see that information on my profile when I'm logged in. 

Is there a way I can fix this?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi CJ,

Thank you for clarifying this. I have shared both your and Menka's reports with the appropriate team for further review. We truly appreciate you reporting these errors. Our engineers will surely look into these errors and work to address the issue that's causing them. We'll keep this thread updated with more information.

**Edited to Update Information**

I would like to apologize for the confusion. We just received an update from the team and they confirmed that this is working as designed. The purpose of our logged-out site is to give prospective clients and freelancers a feel for what Upwork has to offer so that they can decide whether to join our platform; it is not intended to reflect all the jobs and all the profiles available on Upwork. That's the role of the logged-in site, which is only visible to our registered users. To optimize the experience of prospective clients and freelancers on our logged-out site, we are sometimes selective about which jobs and profiles are visible.

We apologize if you are disappointed not to see your profile or job on the logged-out site. However, you can rest easy knowing that the vast majority of job invitations and job applications stem from visibility on the logged-in user site, not on the logged-out site. Therefore, your success on Upwork shouldn't be impacted by your visibility on our logged-out site.

~ Arjay
Upwork

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
ArjayM

Hi Menka,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I tried but wasn’t able to replicate the issue you’re describing. I can see the correct numbers of completed jobs on your Profile here. Could you please try clearing your cache and cookies or use a different browser? Let us know if the issue persists with a screenshot of what you can see from your end and we'll look further into that for you. Looking forward to your confirmation.

~ Arjay
Upwork

I can confirm that this is not the all-too-frequently blamed  'caching issue'.  This is a BUG.  I opened Menka's profile in Chrome where I knew I was not logged in and only see 9 completed jobs.

In Chrome, while logged out - only 9 jobs show:

ericaandrews_1-1672870058065.png

In Firefox, while logged in - all jobs show:

ericaandrews_2-1672870142548.png

You now have 2 different people who have been able to re-create the problem on multiple browsers. This is not a 'caching issue', it is a bug When a computer system generates a total from the exact same list of items multiple times, it should always arrive at the same total each time, consistently. When the totals 'vary', the system has malfunctioned.

sofia2008_0-1672872110552.png

At the end of the 9 jobs, it says there are more jobs and that you need an account to review. You however can see the total number of jobs (85). 

Thanks. I never noticed that, but that introduced a different type of bug.  Basically, the UW system is misleading freelancers about what is visible on the Public profile when they have their visibility set to 'public'.   When I look at my public profile 'preview' under 'My Profile', it tells me it's showing all completed and in-progress jobs, but on the real public view (when I open my profile while not logged in), it's showing a randomly selected list of only 9 jobs and no in progress jobs. 

It's not even showing the most recent jobs, but a randomly selected list, including some really old jobs. It's random: Not based on the rating, date, money earned, or anything - just 9 randomly selected jobs.  Not good for the UW system to show freelancers one 'preview' of the Public profile and then show something completely different in the actual public view.  So much for 'transparency'. Like, I said, very misleading.  They would definitely attract more new clients through the public profiles by not 'cropping' the list of jobs on the public profiles. 

The fact that clients have to create an account just to SEE the whole profile defeats the entire purpose of having a 'public' profile.

ericaandrews_0-1672872984606.png

Hi CJ,

Thank you for clarifying this. I have shared both your and Menka's reports with the appropriate team for further review. We truly appreciate you reporting these errors. Our engineers will surely look into these errors and work to address the issue that's causing them. We'll keep this thread updated with more information.

**Edited to Update Information**

I would like to apologize for the confusion. We just received an update from the team and they confirmed that this is working as designed. The purpose of our logged-out site is to give prospective clients and freelancers a feel for what Upwork has to offer so that they can decide whether to join our platform; it is not intended to reflect all the jobs and all the profiles available on Upwork. That's the role of the logged-in site, which is only visible to our registered users. To optimize the experience of prospective clients and freelancers on our logged-out site, we are sometimes selective about which jobs and profiles are visible.

We apologize if you are disappointed not to see your profile or job on the logged-out site. However, you can rest easy knowing that the vast majority of job invitations and job applications stem from visibility on the logged-in user site, not on the logged-out site. Therefore, your success on Upwork shouldn't be impacted by your visibility on our logged-out site.

~ Arjay
Upwork

This still does not address the fact that Upwork is MISLEADING the freelancer by showing them a 'preview' of the Public profile that is not at all what the actual public profile looks like. If the preview of the public profile I see looks nothing like what the public actually seees, it's not a very useful preview.  Upwork is also potentially LOSING potential new clients by not showing all the jobs and not  showing things like certifications on the 'public' profile on the 'logged out' site. If the intention of the public profile is to 'lure' in potential new clients to get them to create an account, chopping off HALF the 'organic' content they would find/see through a google search is actually shooting yourself in the foot. If a client is looking for freelancers with specific skills, job experience, and/or certifications, they have no incentive to join if the 'scrubbed' profiles don't list the certifications or skills / job experience they are looking for.   You have freelancers on the site with highly sought-after certifications, like a CISSP, or various cloud certifications.  However, if a client is looking for this particular quality in a resource, the relevant profiles will never show up in a public 'google' search because you have 'scrubbed' the relevant content from the curated profile. 

Either way, it's doing more harm than good hiding most of the content.  If I knew outside users could barely see anything useful on the 'public' profiles, I wouldn't have bothered to make it public.  Seems pointless. 

Exactly! I just replied to my support ticket explaining that I can't share my profile to clients outside Upwrok because it's misleading. It's like I've been lying to them about my number of projects and reviews and recent work because all the reviews on my profile are older than 2018. 

I don't know how I haven't noticed this before but it's maybe because I was trusting of the misleading "See Public View" button. 

I don't think this is a good thing for any freelancer who worked hard and their reviews to be simply removed because of "Upwork Selective System".

I hope more freelancers will find this unacceptable if they were aware of the situation. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members