🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Concern on Client
Page options
silviasam
Community Member

Concern on Client

Hello there, 

I'm working for a specific Long term client. As i'm feeling uncomfortable to work with certin specific client, I would like to quite. If i quite with immediate effect as being an upwork hourly contractor, Do i have all rights to quit my contract with immediat effect? 

26 REPLIES 26
NikolaS

Hi Silvia,

Thank you for reaching out to us. All Upwork users have the ability to end a contract at any time, though it is always best if everyone is aware of what's going on and in agreement about it. Typically, freelancers wait for the client to end a contract, make any final payments, and leave feedback. You can find more information here

It is always good to communicate and politely explain everything to your client to avoid any misunderstanding. You can discuss the terms of further engagement on the contract and attempt to resolve the situation amicably.

Let us know if you have further questions. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
5562add4
Community Member

Hi, According to my experience you could not end a contract immediately without the willingness of the client. If the client is willing for ending the contract so you will be able to end the contract from your side. But it will be ended when the client accept your request of ending contract.

What you are saying is not accurate, and I don't see any work experience or complete profile.

e093b0d7
Community Member

It is very easy to win job just carefully read the job description if you can solve the problem or you are perfect fit for the job just write down the overview of solution so the client can attract to your proposal no matter how new youre on the Upwork this method will definetly win a job for you.

Thank you

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Yes, but the client can also leave you a bad review. It would be best to fix the situation if you can, or, if the client is being abusive or doing something else that's not allowed here, you should report them.

808fae26
Community Member

Yes, you have the right to quit your contract with immediate effect as an Upwork hourly contractor. However, you should be aware that your Upwork profile may be adversely affected if you do this  You should also make sure to follow any applicable laws and regulations in your jurisdiction when ending your contract.

Yet another chat bot. 😔 At least this one didn't copy-paste from another message in the same thread.

df602768
Community Member

Just ask the client nicely to end the contract. In fact, if you want to be super professional, offer them help to find a replacement.

Konstantinos, this is a dead thread, unceremoniously resurrected by a chat bot.

LOL 😶

Nice Thanks for the amazing information.   **Edited for Community Guidelines**

05b57fb1
Community Member

This article was read by me! I hope you will keep providing such posts for everyone to read! thank you. **Edited for Community Guidelines**

1cca8d3c
Community Member

Hey
i think that It is very easy to win job just carefully read the job description if you can solve the problem or you are perfect fit for the job just write down the overview of solution so the client can attract to your proposal no matter how new youre on the Upwork this method will definetly win a job for you.

2022d350
Community Member

Hey,

As an Upwork contractor, you have the right to end your contract with a client at any time, as long as you comply with the terms of your contract and any applicable laws. If you have an hourly contract with the client, you can end the contract immediately by ending the time tracker and closing the contract. However, if you have a fixed-price contract, you will need to reach an agreement with the client on the payment for the work done before closing the contract.

It's important to communicate with the client and let them know your reasons for ending the contract. If possible, try to resolve any issues that led to your discomfort before ending the contract. You can also reach out to Upwork's customer support for guidance on how to handle the situation.

Remember that ending a contract abruptly can harm your reputation as a freelancer, and may result in negative feedback from the client. Therefore, it's always best to approach the situation professionally and find a solution that works for both you and the client.

7f5c53dd
Community Member

Yes, you have the right to quit your contract with immediate effect as an Upwork hourly contractorHowever, you should be aware that your Upwork profile may be adversely affected if you do this  You should also make sure to follow any applicable laws and regulations in your jurisdiction when ending your contract.

re: "You should also make sure to follow any applicable laws and regulations in your jurisdiction when ending your contract."

The jurisdiction is Upwork.

So those are the only rules that matter when it comes to ending a contract.

There are no countries or geographically defined areas that you can name which are going to supersede or contradict Upwork policies about ending a contract.

re: "However, if you have a fixed-price contract, you will need to reach an agreement with the client on the payment for the work done before closing the contract."

This is not true.

A freelancer may end a fixed-price contract at any time without discussing it at all with the client. This may not be polite, but it is possible and doing so violates no Upwork rules.

A client may end a fixed-price contract at any time. This may not be polite, but it is possible, and doing so is not against Upwork's rules.

A client may end a fixed-price contract at any time without discussing it with the freelancer simply by releasing all escrow money to the freelancer.

A freelancer may end a fixed-price contract at eny time by releasing all escrow money back to the client.

That was yet another person copy/pasting a ChatGPT response from earlier in this thread, for reasons known only to themselves.

5e55a0b7
Community Member

It is very easy to win job just carefully read the job description if you can solve the problem or you are perfect fit for the job just write down the overview of solution so the client can attract to your proposal no matter how new you're on the Upwork this method will definetly win a job for you.

If it's so easy to win jobs, why don't you have one? You have no experience, and no idea how difficult it is to get any job, much less the first. I'm not sure if I am responding to a real person. There is literally nothing in your profile.

I see, a stolen post from Shanoor. Very classy and impressive. If you are real, we know all we need to know.

And it's still wrong.

351f7151
Community Member

Hi, According to my experience you could not end a contract immediately without the willingness of the client. If the client is willing for ending the contract so you will be able to end the contract from your side. But it will be ended when the client accept your request of ending contract.

351f7151
Community Member

Yes, you have the right to quit your contract with immediate effect as an Upwork hourly contractor.  However , you should be aware that your Upwork profile may be adversely affected if you do this  You should also make sure to follow any applicable laws and regulations when ending your contract.

808fae26
Community Member

Hi Silvia Mary C,

I understand that you're feeling uncomfortable working with me and would like to quit with immediate effect. As an Upwork hourly contractor, you have the right to end your contract at any time. However, there are a few things to keep in mind:

• If you end the contract immediately, you will not be paid for any hours that you have already worked.
  • You may be asked to provide a reason for ending the contract.
  • The client may leave feedback for you, which could impact your JSS.

If you're still sure that you want to end the contract, you can do so by following these steps:

1. Go to your Upwork dashboard and click on "My Jobs."
  2. Find the contract with the client and click on the three dots in the top right corner.
  3. Select "End contract."
  4. In the "Reason for ending contract" field, explain why you're ending the contract.
  5. Click "End contract."

Once you've ended the contract, the client will be notified and your Work Diary will be locked. You will no longer be able to bill for any hours worked on the contract.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

The bot/ChatGPT/whatever has been removed. Please be cautious when accepting information from unknown individuals with no Upwork experience.

False. See this article. Nowhere does it say anything about the Client needing to approve a request to end the contract. I've terminated contracts as a Freelancer - not once did I have to wait for an approval from anybody.

6ba058e9
Community Member

You have the right to end your contract with a client at any time. However, it's important to consider the potential consequences of doing so, such as negative feedback from the client or a potential impact on your Upwork reputation. It's generally a good practice to communicate openly and professionally with the client about your decision and try to resolve any issues or concerns before ending the contract abruptly. If you're uncomfortable working with a specific client, you can discuss your concerns with them and see if there's a way to improve the working relationship. If not, you can end the contract following Upwork's guidelines for closing contracts.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members